SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

The Return of the Wintery Weather At Onion-Planting Time

After having spring and summerlike weather in parts of January and early February, it appears Old Man Winter is coming back to slap us upside the head. I'm not especially excited about the forecast, but on the other hand, if it keeps the fruit trees from blooming early, then that is a good thing.

I know a lot of folks here are getting their onions this week. Be sure to check your forecast for next week's winter precipitation and sub-freezing temperatures before you make a decision about whether to plant your onions before the cold spell hits or to hold them indoors until after the worst of the cold spell has ended. Onions can be damaged by a hard freeze, though sometimes they aren't. Having your onions in moist (but not sopping wet) soil can help keep the roots from freezing. So can mulch, or floating row covers, or snow (because it acts as an insulator). As far south as I am, we have a night coming with a low temperature around 18 degrees next week. I cannot even imagine how cold some of your folks in northern OK may get.

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer