SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macmex

Green Country Seed Savers Meeting February 15

Macmex
9 years ago

Here's the text of the announcement I posted on the GCSS website. Anyone is welcome. I will also post a follow up on some additional things that Sand Mueller, our host, will be sharing.------------------------------------------

Green Country Seed Savers meeting: Sunday February 15 at 2:00 PMHey folks,I have been meaning to post about our upcoming meeting. We won't be meeting at Napolis this month. Instead, we're meeting at Sand Mueller's home, like we did once before, last year. This should be a fun meeting! We have asked Sand to give some basic instruction on how to start your own tomatoes from seed. Starting peppers is pretty much the same. There are a good many gardeners who are truly challenged in this area. If one is restricted to purchasing only plants they will not only spend a whole lot more money to get their garden planted, but they will be incredibly restricted in what they can plant! Think about the selection at the average box store and then multiply that by about a thousand. That's the difference between purchasing transplants and starting from seed!Also, if we're interested in actual preservation, we MUST not only save seed. We MUST start from seed. Even if your favorite tomato is readily available as transplants, it is only a matter of time before market forces cause it to be replaced by another.Those attending are encouraged to bring extra seed of their tomato and peppers. We plan to share freely. I know, my all around favorite tomato (Baker Family Heirloom) is unavailable through any seed company. Yet last year I produced enough seed to plant ACRES of it!Sand recently announced his interest in starting a medicinal plant society. Below is a copy of what he posted. He would like to open up his home that whole day, as kind of an open house. Sand gives great tours! But our group will set 2:00 PM as our starting time.Hello All,On Sunday February 15th at 2 PM we are holding a Seedsaver meeting at my home and nursery. This group welcomes new participants. I've decided to make this event an all day open house for those interested in horticulture done in an organic, inexpensive and sustainable way. I am also now forming the "Cherokee County Plant Medicine" Society. Together we already have the knowledge and ability to make decoctions, tinctures, and homeopathic formulations from medicinal plants growing in our area. What is lacking is sharing and communication and that is the reason for the Society. Please come on the 15th or if you cannot, then respond to this email to show your interest.I would also be grateful if you could forward this email to persons you know would be interested that are not now on my list.RegardsHere are the directions to Sand's home. Willis Road is just South of Tahlequah, many a mile from Walmart.From the intersection of Hwy 62 and Willis Rd. travel east on Willis to the top of the hill and the 4 way stop sign at Park Hill Rd. Turn right (or south) onto Park Hill and take the first right (1/4 mi.)onto Byrd St. and into the subdivision. Continue down hill to the tee and then proceed left, then right, then left. Or for military minded people, "left, right, left." the address is 4712 Ridge and the property with greenhouse is quite visible. 918-453-1475 in case you become lost!!!

Read more: http://seedsavingnetwork.proboards.com/thread/89/green-country-seed-saver-february?page=1#ixzz3RZ2QklfW

Comments (10)