Making lamp shades

Silvey Marshall

I bought an old lamp at a thrift store and can't find the right size lamp shade, so thought I would try making one. Is there an alternative to using styrene since it's kind of expensive? Is there something like a heavy interfacing I could use? I have the rings from the old lamp shade.

SaveComment13Like
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosa_happy_trails

I have the same issue.... The only thing that I have done is go to a fabric shop they have lots of ideas for lamp shades or call a clap shade company if UR local fabric shop does not have what you want they can custom cover one for you.

Save    
adaorand

I just "made" a new shade from an old shade and a linen tablecloth. I found a thrift store shade that was the shape & size I wanted, removed fabric (save for pattern) and cut new covering from t'cloth. Lining is from scrap fabric and edging is bias strip of linen. Seams are sewn and all is attached with double stick tape (I used 3M).

That popular video site has many downloads on this subject. Check it out.

AdaO

Save    
steiconi

So you have just the top and bottom rings of the shade, no vertical bars connecting them?

I've bought flexible clear sheets of acrylic/plastic at TAP Plastics. I think it was $12 for a 30" x 40" sheet. If that doesn't work for you, how about clear placemats? I've used those for shades--I only used them with CFL bulbs, which are cooler than incandescents, so can't guarantee they won't melt with hot bulbs.

Save    
adaorand

Sorry for not being more specific. I got the complete frame with the verticals.

Save    
steiconi

Oh, in that case, you can just cover it with fabric, you don't need styrene or other stiffener.

Save    
gabbythecat

We just had the top and bottom rings from our old lamp shades. We cut up a map in the correct shape and size, had it laminated, and trimmed the plastic laminate close to the map. We taped each shade to the rings, and covered the top and bottom edges with white electrical tape.

We used a map of our area, but you could really use anything - maybe make a collage of pictures and have them laminated? We use LED bulbs in these lamps, so there is very little heat involved. But the plastic seems like it could withstand a fair amount of heat if necessary.

Save    
sedona16

I've seen some beautiful shades in boutique stores using the old frames wrapped with lace. They were pretty expensive so I looked it up on interest thinking I might make one myself. My first mistake was buying a thrift store shade with no vertical bars on the shade. I still want to do this project with the right frame.

Save    
dirtygardener73

Since we're talking about lampshades, I found a nice brass lamp that actually works out by the dumpster, but the shade is very dirty, but otherwise in decent shape. I was thinking of spray painting it and adding some bead fringe at the top and bottom. What kind of paint would I use? I haven't crafted in so long, I don't know what to get anymore.

Save    
adaorand

dirtygardener73,

Last week I snagged a Stiffel floor lamp by our dumpster. The shade, pleated fabric over plastic, was heavy with smoke stains and edge trimming was ragged. I removed the edging, filled a litter pan (usually used for potting plants) with warm water, laundry detergent & non-chlorine bleach, and laying on it's side, rotated it several times in the water. Not all stains came out, so I added a small amount of Clorox which did the trick. Rinsed thoroughly, blotted dry, placed back on lamp and dried with hair drier. With trim and braiding replaced, it looks like new.

If you decide to paint your shade, I recommend a fabric spray paint available at hobby/craft stores, W'mart, etc. Good luck.

www.simplyspray.com.

Save    
dirtygardener73

Thanks! I'm looking forward to using it in my LR. The lamp is so pretty, but the college kids around here can't wait to get rid of Mom and Dad's hand-me-downs and get all new Ikea stuff. I've gotten some great stuff, like a caneback desk chair that I absolutely love. Now I just need someone to toss out a desk!

Save    
adaorand

So you're in a college town, too? Graduation is May 14 & 15 here for two colleges within a mile or so. I used to go curb shopping but now just dorm dumpsters which are more rewarding and easier.

I just an hour ago pulled an Ethan Allen traditional wing back chair from our dumpster. Clean, almost new condition and the ribbed velveteen upholstery goes with my color scheme!!! It's going to be perfect in my new condo in three weeks.

Save    
dirtygardener73

Congrats on the chair! Wow! I don't have a vehicle, so I'm pretty much restricted to what I can find at the dumpsters at my complex. Someone threw a beautiful futon frame into the dumpster the other day, but I had no one to help me get it. It had no mattress, but I wouldn't want to get a mattress from a student anyway. Just thinking of what might be lurking there makes me cringe. Once, I found some beautiful, almost brand-new sheets in a plastic bag by the dumpster, so I grabbed them, washed and dried them, and still got scabies! I don't get linens or upholstered furniture anymore.

Save    
PRO
Juboka Ltd

I needed a lampshade of a specific type and color. The best I could do was to buy one at Habitat the right top and bottom diameter. I took off all the material and added heavy craft paper where it was, in the correct height, by folding and hot glueing the top and bottom edges over the rings. Then I added new material on top of that. Turned out great!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
DIY Projects Make a Mod Solar Lamp Trio for the Garden
What’s that hovering ethereally in the dark? A set of cool globe lights showing off your DIY ingenuity
Full Story
DIY Projects Make a Marble Lamp Base With Tile
Get a lamp base that looks high end but costs only around $20, using basic tools and easy-to-find materials
Full Story
Tastemakers Shop Talk: Peek in on Brandon Morrison's Lamp-Making Process
Get an up-close and personal view of a Los Angeles lighting designer as he crafts one of his artful table lamps
Full Story