SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megnezzo0315

Any opinions on buying/selling and Charleston/Summerville

megnezzo0315
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site so I am just learning, please bear with me. My DH accepted a job in Charleston off of Savannah Hwy at the beginning of this year. We have been sitting on the offer for a year and it came down to make a decision or not, we chose to go. We live in an older home in North Augusta SC right now and we have to sell this home before we can purchase another home. My DH credit is not the best because of court ordered child support for a 23 year old daughter.. Long story.. Have to go to court to get it straightened out. We have already been approved for a new loan on the condition that we sell this house first.

I am not familiar with how things go with buying and selling. I have SOOO many questions and not enough answers. DH is already in Charleston staying with his boss and family. I am here preparing the house, staging it, cleaning it, packing, painting, etc. We plan to list in two weeks. By the 16th of Feb because we need it sold asap. Should we be looking for a house now or should we wait until we get an offer for the house? I keep looking at homes online and falling in love only to have them removed from the market or sold. Which is expected I guess.

What neighborhood in Summerville is great for a family with older teens and now my oldest daughter will be moving back home with her son who is almost 2. I don't want a partying type area. We found a home we love in Goose Creek but have heard some negative reviews on the area. Either way, it will be a commute for DH for work but I want to be near the stores and such. Our budget is around 220k for a home. We could probably afford to do more but really do not want to. Our goal is to save for college for children and pay the home off before retirement so that means staying within that budget. Who knows the areas and how should we go about selling/buying at the same time? I was going to hire a friend of mine whom I have known for ten years to sell my house. She works for a reputable company and was just named Agent of the Year. However, when I called her to ask a few questions, see when she wanted to come over and perhaps give me a few tips.. she seemed annoyed with me and actually stated that she was in the middle of a million things and what did I need.. quickly. I got a recommendation from a Charleston Realtor for one here and he came the very next day and is working up a plan for me. His company is smaller however but he seemed really invested and willing to be involved. He may even stop by tomorrow as we are painting to see how things are going. (his words)

So.. is it advisable to use a friend as an agent or should I sign with someone that seems more willing to help? We have been in this home 14 years. This is a huge transition and change for us. Any advice, any opinions, any knowledge of the Goose Creek and Summerville area will be appreciated.

Love this forum, Thank you so much.

Comments (5)