SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oxford_pictionary

Cycas Revoluta - only two shoots

Hello, I am new here, and I have a question about a Cycas Revoluta or King Sago palm. It's a small potted plant that I bought at IKEA several years ago as a complete plant newbie. When I bought it, it looked almost exactly like the image I am posting, and each shoot was about a foot long. It stayed like this for about a year. Then I went away on a trip for a month and my house-sitter unfortunately forgot to water it. The leaves turned dry and brown, and eventually all fell off. The plant stayed without leaves as a small pineapple-looking thing for a few months. I kept watering it even though I was sure it was dead. Eventually, two shoots began to grow. They grew to about 2.5 feet each, much taller than the older shoots, but there were only two of them. They lasted for about a year, then yellowed and fell off. Again the plant was without leaves for a few months. And then again, two more shoots sprouted and grew to about 2.5 feet. These shoots have stayed for over two years now.

I'm still learning how to best care for all my plants, and what I'm wondering is, is there any reason my plant will not develop more than two shoots at a time? Every image I find of a Cycas Revoluta online shows it with a big mass of shoots.

I am planning to re-pot it soon into a bigger pot. Do you think this will help to make it grow more shoots? Thank you so much for any help you can give!

Comments (3)