SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

What does "as soon as soil can be worked" really mean?

beesneeds
9 years ago

I know it might be a dumb question to ask because the ground is frozen or not, right?
But for me it isn't that simple. Right now I got a couple feet of snow over several inches of mulch over my nice garden bed- which if I peeled off the snow and the top of the mulch right now I could fork the bed and work it. And it's seriously too cold to try working and planting. But in the past I've waited too long till everything was really melted off and workable and haven't gotten a good pea crop because it was too wet- or because I waited really too long and late spring heat nixed them. Or because I was too early and my baby peas got frosted/frozen out.

Peas are one of my banes I'm determined to conquer- we love them too much for me to give up just because I apparently can't figure out what "as soon as the soil can be worked" really means.

I even tried to get around this with a fall planting for a late season crop- and apparently picked a too long of a season pea because they got frozen out before I even got blooms :( I guess it was too late for the soil to be worked.

I live in a lakeshore zone 6- east side of Lake Michigan. My last frost date is supposed to be around May 10th.
Right now the pea seed I have on hand is Little Marvel 60 day, Petit Provencal 108 day, Green Arrow 70 day, Sugar Pod 2 68 day, and Alaska 50-60 day. The days are the maturity rates per each kind if that helps.

So is there a way for me to figure out planting dates that don't depend on when the soil can be worked? Or can anyone help me figure out just what that means so I don't end up blowing another season of peas?

Thanks for any help folks can provide :)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!