SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zendog_7a

Help, fuzzy scion wood

zendog
9 years ago

Hi all,

I got apple scions from ARS last week and was very excited to see great pieces and probably more than I needed. I looked it all over and some of the buds at the top of one set of scions looked a little fuzzy, but I didn't suspect mildew or mold. I had seen some types of apple varieties that have buds that look a little whitish/fuzzy naturally on some other apple trees and thought that is just how some varieties looked. Based on what others had said about the ARS wood appearing to be treated or at least holding up well, I put the bag right into a fridge to avoid introducing anything else into the bags. I expect my root stock in early March.

Well I just looked at them and there is a lot more fuzzy looking stuff and it is on many of the scions, although at varying amounts. What are my best options at this point? Should I just wipe it all down with water with some bleach and put it back in and check regularly? Or now that I see mold is it all suspect and are the buds possibly damaged? Have I now put my grafting success in pretty big jeopardy? I'm particularly worried that even if I keep after them with the clorox and water, whatever hope I have of them surviving is pretty diminished once they're wrapped under parafilm and the mold or mildew can run rampant.

I did think that maybe I should cut away parts that seemed clear and put those in a separate bag after treating them, but I assumed they would already have spores as well.

They are all crabs, including some obscure ones. I've included a picture below.

One other note is that I checked that fridge and it was only at 48 or so, so I'll also put it at the coldest temp, but I'm sure that didn't help the situation.

Thanks for any insight.

Comments (10)