SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

scrappy25 renovation Part 2- Julia soapstone installed

scrappy25
9 years ago

Part 2- Julia soapstone installed

(If you missed Part 1, it is linked below.)

Knowing that I had white cabinets and a mosaic ming green marble tile, I hunted around Baltimore for scarcely stocked soapstone. I found some slabs in my 5 yard check, but they had names like "Brazilian Black, "Honed soapstone", "Leathered soapstone" , "Green soapstone" , or "Blue soapstone" which really gave no indication of how hard or soft they were. I was unable to get any samples for testing. I was spooked by the stories of staining of white granites and the very pricey quartz, and didn't want anything that I had to be careful of or care for.

I was about to settle for leathered uba tuba but when I posted here on gardenweb you all encouraged me to look further away. So up to Stonemasters in Kennett Square PA I went, also 90 minutes away from my home in north Baltimore. Beekeeperswife had used them twice and spoke highly of them, Stonemasters had 15 varieties of soapstone on sale at $65/SF, about 20 percent less than soapstone in Baltimore, and gave me samples to my hearts content. They even included an integral drainboard in that pricing. Carol, my saleslady, also took me through all the granite slabs as well and I almost went for the honed jet mist, which was really pretty. However, it did stain slightly with lemon juice and tomato paste, so I went back to choosing between the soapstones. The Amazon (like Green Mountain) was the hardest but difficult to sand out imperfections. Julia was the next hardest, but easier to sand out nicks and scratches while still being quite durable. Here is a picture of the Julia slab that we ended up buying. The picture is overexposed to show the pattern detail.

{{gwi:2142954}}

Following advice garnered here on gardenweb, I booked vacation days for the templating and the countertop installation. The cabinet were installed on Friday Nov 7 and Brandon came to template on Tuesday Nov 10. He spent about three hours, half of that on properly fitting the Stages 45 sink between my faucets and front tip-out tray on an inset drawer front, no small feat. I asked for a roundover edge on both the countertop and the sink edge in order to minimize chipping, for a slightly increased cost. I also talked him into 1 inch inside corner radii instead of the 3 inch that is standard for that type of edge. After all the measuring, checking, and double-checking, Brandon used the laser template and then checked those results against his manual measurements. He listened to my concerns about the accessories for the Kohler sink fitting and decided that it would be best to follow the official Kohler dxf file for the sink cutout (CNC machine).

Laser templating
{{gwi:2142955}}

The next day, I drove to Stonemasters for the computer templating ($7.50 /sf additional) that allowed me to choose the pattern matchup at the seams. The additional charge allows for the wastage created by the pattern match (I ended up using most of 2 slabs rather than the 1 1/2 slabs actually needed )

Countertop installation occurred on Friday Nov 21,

Here is the truck in my driveway
{{gwi:2142956}}

It was really cold outside and the soapstone was frozen from being in the truck overnight. Jeremy and Carl managed to be both sweaty and frozen at the same time after they carried in the large peninsula piece.

{{gwi:2142957}}

Here is the edge of the countertop so that you can see the roundover edge detail on top vs the standard eased edge on the bottom. You can see the biscuit joints created by the CNC to help join the seams. The roundover seems to really work at preventing chips.
{{gwi:2135465}}

Again,fitting the sink took the most time and effort, the installers used a combination of cleats on the sides and clips on the back of the sink screwed into holes that the CNC machine had drilled out, For very thin seams, they used a contraption that I think is referred to as Gorilla grips to pull the soapstone together. This certainly did the trick since the seams are difficult to see and difficult to feel.
{{gwi:2142958}}

I have to say that the laser templating is truly impressive . The soapstone fits within a fingernail of the wall and there is almost no variance in the countertop overhang.

Jeremy and Carl ended up being here about 5 hours but still took the time to rub an oil/wax mixture into the entire surface. This was a little shiny at first but soaked into the soapstone by the next day and makes it really impervious to water and oil stains. Here it is after being freshly waxed. They say that it will be many months before needing the wax reapplied.

By the way the Kohler sink accessories fit perfectly with a little wiggle room so using the Kohler provided dxf file fo the sink cutout is definitely the way to go.

{{gwi:2140647}}

{{gwi:2142959}}

Philip, the production manager at Stonemasters, told me that this Julia would be sanded to 320 grit. I was a little worried since this seems to be finer than the recommendations that I see here, but I have had no issues with water rings or staining. The wax/oil mixture they put on has faded to a lovely honed sheen and so far no scratches or dings even though every surface was used during the Thanksgiving weekend! I had a little qualm when my mom put the hot turkey roaster on the counter and pushed it across to my dad to carve. She also used the cleaver on a cutting board on the counter to shop some Chinese duck and pork (bones included), so far so good.

I have seen so may horror stories of granite installations and pictures of badly behaving soapstone on this site, so wanted to report on my thoroughly positive experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scrappy25 renovation Part 1- layout evolution and cabinets

This post was edited by scrappy25 on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 23:56

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths