SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

Scrappy25 renovation Part 1- layout evolution and cabinets

scrappy25
9 years ago

I have been a regular on gardenweb over the last 5 years as I started, aborted, and restarted a kitchen expansion only to abort again due to costs. Finally this year I restarted in the existing space, allowing the "saved" money to go for better finishes, custom cabinets, and bells and whistles. I can't thank gardenweb participants enough for all the ideas and advice. This is your kitchen as much as mine.

This post will summarize the beginning to the cabinet installation.

I have a smallish kitchen by GW standards, with an adjacent eat-in area that my husband wanted to keep intact.

{{gwi:2142817}}

{{gwi:2142818}}

I always felt constrained in that eat-in area. Instead of a kitchen addition I ended up adding a window seat bumpout in the eating area, what a difference it makes to the whole area.

Before

After adding sitting bay

I got the fridge out of the main U into the former desk area across from the "U". A cooktop, oven, and hood would move into the fridge area The best idea was one contributed by gardenwebbers bmorepanic and lavender_lass who suggested moving the sink into the peninsula . That cleared a large swath of counterspace between the sink and the cooktop that at least tripled my prep space. This schematic still included the breakfast room bumpout that was nixed in favor of the bay window seat.

That plan consolidated when I was able to snag a Kohler Stages 45 sink on the home depot website for $844. I was sure it was a mistake since the price changed back to its usual $1150 the next day but indeed I did manage to get it for that price.

After looking at several beautiful Dutchwood kitchens on this website, I drove the 90 minutes from north Baltimore up to Myerstown, PA in February to visit Jason after he mailed back my preliminary estimate based on my layout.

{{gwi:2142819}}

It took me until June to find a contractor who was willing to work with me having my own cabinetmaker. so I started the design process with the Dutchwood kitchen designer Lorna. The process took two visits of about 3-4 hours each and many many emails. I chose their beautiful inset cabinets, painted white maple.

My contractor demo'd and prepared the kitchen (subfloor, tile floor, rough electrical , plumbing, hood vent install, drywall) in less than 3 weeks, but it took time for the cabinets to be built. Two months after I signed off on final drawings, Kevin ( Jason's brother) and Elmer arrived to install the cabinets. What an exciting day. Kevin said he was in charge of the cabinet finishes as well as the installation, and Elmer told me that he was responsible for the special customizations including the corbels and shelves that I had designed. I LOVE that this company takes such pride in their work.

Here are some of the install day photos

Upper cabinets first . Those are mirrored, not glass cabinets. I love that they hide contents yet reflect light. Not one casual observer has noticed that they are mirrored. I always get the comment, "the glass cabinets are so pretty."
{{gwi:2142820}}

All installed
{{gwi:1972498}}

Fridge wall (fridge is not yet pushed back since the outlet was not finished)
{{gwi:2142821}}

36" cooktop in 30 inch cabinet over 30 inc wide oven cavity. Depth of wider portion accommodates the heat shield for the cooktop.
{{gwi:2142822}}

Drawers alongside cooktop are cut down in width
{{gwi:2142823}}

Top drawer under Stages sink shelf is cut down in height. They built the cabinets to perfectly accommodate the sink.

{{gwi:2136926}}

pull out cutting board
{{gwi:2142824}}

Lemans corner cabinet pullout
{{gwi:2142825}}

And finally, I had 5 toekick drawers added and three of them are already full from accessories for the new sink and ovens!

{{gwi:2142826}}

This post was edited by scrappy25 on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 21:55

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022