SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goostergw

Trying to successfully mix stair runners and area rugs

Gooster
9 years ago

I'm looking (again, sorry) for feedback on how to successfully mix stair runners and area rugs. Our current runner is wearing on the leading edge and we'd like to update it with a less traditional pattern. Thus, I've been looking at patterned broadloom as well as non-oriental transitional runners. (Editorial: great products in the UK, far and few between in the US). I tend to like rugs down the main hall and entry to help preserve wear -- and runner up the stairs for safety (and the dog). Also due to the darling prince, we can't have any loops in the carpet (nail snags).

With all the odd shapes I'm left with:

1. Doing custom rugs from patterned broadloom
2. Combining runner or broadloom with pre-made runners and rugs.

Oh, and we're bucking the trend and moving monochromatic here. Thus the degree of difficulty rises, I think.

Thus, to combine the patterns as in 2 I'm thinking I must stay in the same tones and then watch my patterns carefully. I'm looking at examples in Houzz and they are far and few between. (Usually a sign you should not be doing something, hence, I am checking here).

Thus in the photo below, I think to use D I must select a rug that either plays off the ovals or something like a large format print or even a stripe (playing off the lines). What I should avoid is another geometric. (Other choices are broadlooms that we might use). Am I off base?

{{gwi:2142735}}

Comments (8)