SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shellking_gw

Ideas for updates to condo kitchen?

ShellKing
9 years ago

Here's our condo kitchen. We want to update it without a full renovation. Just a facelift. Goal is to spend $4-5K.

I have my ideas and priorities -- but I'm curious what you all think. The cabinets are in solid condition.

This is a winter ski-weekend condo for us. At some point it might be a vacation rental. The property value is quite high -- so a DYI paint job on the cabinets is out of the question. I'd rather do less and do it 'right' if that makes sense.

Any advice on what you would do? Where would you start? What do you see as the priorities?

Comments (49)

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

#1 priority would be better lighting. That central fixture has to go. You need recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, and possibly some uplighting on top of the cabinets. Tape LEDs for the latter 2.

#2 priority would be a new countertop. Stone or engineered quartz of some type. Either lighter or darker than the existing cabinets.

#3 would be appliances. Replace the white with stainless.

Add in some fabric touches like a rug and maybe seat cushions for the bar stools. Call it done.

• rbpdx
    9 years ago

I would start with upgrading counter top and lighting and then appliances.

If cabinets are in good shape I would keep it.

• Related Discussions

$8500 Condo Kitchen Progress Update 3 - Backsplash!

Q

Comments (10)
    Our cabinets came form Home Depot American Woodmark Brand. We got a good deal because they were having a sales if you spend over $5,000 you got a free sink base cabinet which saved about $400 so on cabinets plus granite it cost us $4,600. We also bought tile that was on clearance so it was about $1 per square foot of tile. The contractor we really lucked out on we found him on Craigslist. He was a MA licensed builder and he showed us his own kitchen which he remodeled to show us his work. He also came in at an insane lower price then any one else we had put a quote on the job. I think the labor including electrical and plumbing (he knew people who did these) it was a total of $3,600. then over time we had to add the $300 because the wall we turned into the breakfast bar was load bearing so he had to install a new support beam which added a bit to the cost. It should be done sometime next week so I will post new pics then!
    ...See More

Condo kitchen update reveal

Q

Comments (15)
    no, my budget was unrealistic and ended almost doubled. But my budget wasn't based on any research. Once I started pricing things I realized I wanted it to be nicer. The countertop was a big splurge, but totally worth it over another formica countertop, for example. Same with the light fixture. I could have found something less expensive, but really wanted a 24" diameter light.
    ...See More

Need help for new condo overhaul (updated floor plans)

Q

Comments (7)
    Re: downstairs: these will be the children(s) and guest bathroom. Unfortunately they will have to shower upstairs should that be needed. If you ever go to sell, that will be a HUGE negative. I mean huge. Plus IMO it's rather rude to ask your guests to have to climb stairs to shower and then go back downstairs. And if I were your kid, I wouldn't be happy having to constantly run up and downstairs to shower. Re: full bath upstairs: It's an odd space and there's an existing bathroom there. True that likely we don't need a full bath there, but if we put it in downstairs, we lose the den space (or the kid(s)' playroom). And then I'm not sure what we'd put in place of removing the full bath upstairs. Better to lose the den/kid's space and have an actual usable bathroom downstairs. Most kids prefer their own rooms anyway. How about making the tub upstairs into extra storage space or even putting a stackable W/D in the space so YOU don't have to continually run up and downstairs for your laundry. - proposed Kitchen is ~8'x15' Considering counters are a minimum of 25.5" you don't have enough room to have cabinets on both sides as that would give you less than 4' of walking room. I would suggest before you do anything you post your kitchen in the kitchen forum.
    ...See More

Help update a small condo kitchen

Q

Comments (2)
    I think the cabinets look great. I would go with a solid quartz counter. A lot of the Scandinavian style inspo pictures I have seen are going back to white walls. this photo is a little more contemporary, but shows the white quartz and walls with a similar cabinet color.
    ...See More
  • ShellKing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! That's just the kind of advice I was looking for.

I was thinking:

$2600 installed for a dark Corian counter and integrated sink from HDepot
    $700 new range and microwave hood in black. I'm not a big stainless fan and nothing about this ski condo is 'modern' -- so what's the thought on just black?
    Lighting - just like GreenDesigns suggested. Maybe pendants too.

The linoleum floor is also an issue -- but I'm not counting that cost right now. The whole unit needs need flooring. I'm leaning towards tile that looks like wood, but worried about it being cold. We are only here weekends so in floor heat probably not viable. Also ski boots on tile = noisy. Wondering about wood-look vinyl but wondering if it just looks awful tacky.

• User
    9 years ago

No Corian. Especially dark Corian. It scratches, and those scratches show white. Horrible choice for a rental. You need stone. With a stainless undermount sink. It can stand up to most idiocy.

No black appliances for a windowless room. You need the reflectivity of stainless. Or the fake stainless. GE has the "Clean Steel" and a couple of other makers make similar stuff. Much better choice than black.

Yes to the luxury vinyl tile. A lot of it is incredibly realistic and you won't be able to tell the difference at all. It will not be cheaper than real tile or wood, but it will be quiter and more waterproof.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

This is very similar to the kitchen layout in my condo.

Your basic make-this-look-better treatment (clean the cabinets, install new counters and new undermount sink, get new appliances on deep discount, and install a new light that was on sale) will eat up your entire budget.

However, without new cabinets, I am never sure that treatment is worth it. It always looks like new stuff on old cabinets -- very clearly looks like a half-measure. As a buyer, I would rather pay less for an untouched old kitchen and redo it completely than deal with a seller who wants me to pay more for their refresh and then redo it completely. I also feel like all the new stuff makes the old stuff that remains look worse.

If this were my kitchen, I'd spend my money on wiring for new and better lighting and getting the fridge more out of the way of the stove. Those are major functional issues and won't pretty up the joint, but they would certainly make it more pleasant to work in. And then maybe add a charming and cheerful backsplash that's a little vintage-looking like the rest if the kitchen.

With light coming in only from an adjacent room, lighting is your big functional issue.

I presume adding a window above the sink is out of the question? We actually got permission for that from our HOA, but the wall it was on was a shear wall (makes the building safe for earthquakes), and the engineering retrofitting needed to put a window safely in a wall like that was suuuuper expensive.

Perhaps you won't have the same structural issues, although likely the sink pipes are running right where you'd want that window, so you'd have to move them, and there's your budget right there. Worth getting a quote for a window, though. That would be the number one change I'd want here.

Assuming no window, instead add a bunch of cans to the ceiling (or some LED retrofits in jboxes) and definitely, definitely under cabinet lighting. Go overboard on good lighting because you have no natural light here. This will cost you for the electrical and the drywall patching and painting.

The second functional thing is the awkward fridge placement. It really crowds the stove, and that fridge door hits everybody working in the kitchen when it is opened.

Can the fridge be turned 90° and placed to the left of the stove, facing the peninsula? This wouldn't gain you more counter space next to the stove, but it would mean that someone standing at the stove or sink wouldn't have to move if someone else wanted to open the fridge.

What is the white-painted bump-out on the other side of the fridge? That would have to be demolished if you did that.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Look at wood-look laminate floors.

No to black appliances and dark counters. The room is dark enough already. If you don't like stainless, get white appliances.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Are you on the top floor? Would a skylight be possible? If you are already opening the ceiling for cans, the added cost to frame out a skylight would be minimal.

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone to all the great idea. I'm thinking stainless now thanks to you. Unfortunately, these are all interior walls with condo units on the wall behind the sink and a lobby area on the wall behind the range. So, I'm hearing loud and clear to invest in lighting.

The fridge and stove must be further apart than they appear in that first photo because it hasn't been a problem for the last 7 years. But I hear you: function in a kitchen is really important. That bump out is the back of a much needed closet. I think the fridge stays. I wish the wall beside it would hide the side of fridge -- especially if I get a stainless one that is grey on the side (Kenmore). The cost of framing a bigger wall and painting it and new crown molding probably isn't worth it.

There's 49 sq feet of counter -- but it looks like I could do a toffee silestone quartz counter with stainless sink for $2700 with no backsplash. Then I could do a tile backsplash? Is that a better material?

Thanks again for all these ideas.

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and, we aren't on a top floor -- unit above us and garage under us. So no natural light that way.

Also, I totally hear what you're saying about putting new stuff around the old cabinets. I think that's why we've waited 7+ years to do anything. But now the stove is dying and so that got me thinking about this room. Ideally we'd gut it all including the two bathrooms. But it's all a balance. This is a good size, great location ski condo. It's value isn't in the interior finishes, but I still want them to look a little nicer. We don't plan to sell anytime soon and it's worth 20% less than what we bought it for. All things that somehow play into what one feels right about spending on an update.

edited to add: the appliances are bisque color. White would be too white, so now I'm leaning towards stainless.

This post was edited by ShellKing on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 17:02

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Check out Frigo Designs for a side panel for the fridge. It may be worth the investment

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.frigodesign.com/custom-kitchens/appliance-frames-and-panels/refrigerator-side-panels.html

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

I agree with everything that's been said, except that I don't like stainless & am planning on going with all white appliances in my new kitchen.

I'd also go with a single bowl undermount sink.

I think your cabinets are lovely just as they are.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Any chance you could remove the cabinet over the sink without incurring too much expense fixing the edges of the existing cabinets? It would open it up and let more light in if your budget ends up allowing less new lighting that you hope for. And can you build a shelf for the micro? Just to get it off the counter?

• User
    9 years ago

Since you can't vent anyway, do an OTR Microwave. For the counters, something limght, to provide contrast with the cabinets. No dark tones, and definately no mediumtones tha just blend in with the cabinets. If you like Silestone, maybe Blanco City, as I think it's a Group A.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

What is the style of the rest of your unit and if the building?

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the ideas, please keep them coming.

This is the rest of the room. The counter chairs are in the foreground. Other than flooring, this end of the room is updated.

Yes the range hood just vents back into the room. I don't do a lot of fancy cooking here. Chili, eggs, ski food. At home my microwave is built-in on a shelf and I'll admit that's ideal. But I'm not seeing anyplace to do that in this kitchen.

The cabinets above the sink appear to be a separate unit - so they could be removed and the molding on the top reused along the side. But I'm not sure what that gets me especially if I put lights under them. We aren't tall people and they have never seemed oppressive while working at the sink. But definitely something to think about.

Early comment got me thinking about taking out the way between the kitchen and front door and putting the fridge next to the stove. But I think the closet is too valuable and there's actually room for one person to be at the stove and another to be getting stuff out of the fridge as it is.

What's the best combination of durable and affordable for counters? I didn't think I can pull of white in this environment, but I'm hearing you when you say go light, not mid tone.

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photographing the tone of this room is difficult. Here's another photo. It's definitely 'warm' instead of cool.

• User
    9 years ago

OK, there's a LOT of brown in this house. Verging on too much. OK, too much. You need some color. Painting some of the furniture would be cheaper and easier than replacing the sofas. Would you be open for changing a few things here to bring in more color?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

At some point it might be a vacation rental.

==>>> can you serendipitously ... visit some rentals ... and compare???

talk with a rental agent.. and ask their opinion ???? .. find your rent range ... and make that a variable on what you spend ....

and.. mind you.. devils advocate... who needs a banquet dinner table.. in a vaca rental ??? ... how many of you.. are there??? .. do you really all sit down to dinner at once.. PLUS fill the counter sittings ... there might be 3 or 4 feet of space there that is wasted ... do you need both ..????

a lot of great suggestions above in other replies ... but i find it hard to believe.. many of them, can be done within the estimate range.. hence the suggestion to scope out comparables .... when it all boils down.. this is a real estate issue.. more THAN .. a decor issue ... dont you think .... no use spending a bazillion if it rents for 250 a month .. lol .. i dont want numbers.. i want you to think about it.. because... i am the advocate.. of the evil one ...

and do note.. the appliance colors make me want to puke 1970... lol.. and OMG.. the walls all match said color.... i swear to God.. i grew up in that diaper yellow kitchen ... lol.. if nothing else ... dump the counter.. and appliance color ... and paint the walls ....

good luck ...

ken

ps: havent we .. with kids.. seen that color in a diaper ....

Here is a link that might be useful: my God.. look at these nightmares ..... thank God mom didnt have a digital camera ... lol

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Here is the Blanco City that live_wire_oak recommended
    {{gwi:2141766}}

I think it would blend well with the existing colors in your condo.

I also agree with her suggestion for the Over The Range microwave. And if you really want to update your appliances, get a smooth top range, too.

I agree with those who suggested stainless steel appliances and more lighting. You might also consider new knobs on the cabinets. It looks like you have antique brass. Some nickle or chrome would add a little more sparkle.

You might look into vinyl plank flooring. It was in my nephew's dorm and it stood up to loads of abuse.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Perhaps space over the sink could be used for microwave shelve? - not sure if good idea - it would be too high most likely.
    Is it possible to fit it in one of the cabs in breakfast bar/eating (obviously, from the kit side). But Over the range micro is probably better idea.
    I have seen a 'fake' window that looked great - it was in the basement, but you may be able to do same. Window frame over the sink (if you remove cabs over it) and put appropriate (daylight) lights behind. Probably a frosted glass over - as long as it doesn't look like a bathroom window...
    If you are replacing the fridge, maybe you could find a shallower model that won't stick out beyond the closet wall. And I would add storage cab over the fridge too - but it may be difficult to get one to match exactly (unless somebody in the building is remodelling & getting rid of the same cabs!) I think the closet is important to put fridge in - unless there is plenty of other storage/closet space.

This post was edited by rina_ on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 21:19

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for all the ideas. Just to answer some of the questions:

We are a family of four here. We eat together at the table every night. Often times we are joined by sisters and brothers and parents and inlaws. Just last weekend we had 9 at dinner and 7 sleeping in the 2-bedroom condo -- so yes we really do use all the space. I guess I'm not sure why you are against having a table at which to eat. Maybe I misunderstood the question or the 4-6 person table looked bigger to you.

We don't have any current plans to rent it. We use it. But, the reality of owing a condo at a ski resort is that it could easily end up as a rental some day. So it's not really a real estate question -- except for the fact that I don't want to put in something that requires extra care (counter tops) that I might regret in the future. It would rent for $250/night as is. $400/night remodeled.

I like the brown. It's a ski condo. Not a beach cottage. Not a NYC flat. It's warm and comfortable and cozy.

Here's a picture of another kitchen in the same building. I think those are the same cabinets because of the location of the knobs. (Ours are ORB, btw) That was a great suggestion to look at other properties, it can even be done online as a starting point. Thanks!

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

I also think the brown is cozy. : ) Throw pillows made from a fun cable knit and/or a tartan plaid blanket would liven it up with very little commitment.

Think long and hard about doing laminate floors in the kitchen as suggested above. A dropped knife = gouges. If there's snow on your ski boots, those wet drips could cause the seams to swell. Same with kitchen spills. Our laminate flooring in a previous home was loud and echo-ey. Perhaps some of the newer padding has improved that, though.

Lux. vinyl or vinyl plank would be a better fit, I think.

• tigger9759
    9 years ago

What resort are you located around? I'm a colorado girl :) The brown is great and similar to most condos around here; my only fear with laminate flooring is do people walk in their ski boots in the unit or throw their boots and bindings on the floor? If so, be wary of gouges from them in the laminate; for that reason I would just prefer basic ceramic tiles on the floor.

As for the table and counter seating, that's really important to lots of people (me included) in ski rentals; that's one of the best things about having a condo is being able to save money by eating off the mountain.

• User
    9 years ago

I like the brown too. Just not on everything. :) I'm noticing some red in some of your accents, so adding in just a few more red things could really help to add in some punctuation. The lamps for instance. Heck, just wrap them in some red fabric and tie it with twine for a change. A nice Navaho rug to anchor the coffee table would add some much needed color and pattern. Cushions for the chairs would add comfort as well as more color and pattern. I'm thinking something like a Fair Isle pattern, like you'd see on a ski sweater. You could even scout thrift stores for old sweaters to make into the cushions and some additional pillows for the sofas. It wouldn't cost much, and could be a fun family project. What's there says comfy. But it could be easy to make comfy and a bit more warm. That's what color and pattern can do for you.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I would not put new counters on those cabinets. Unless the existing counters are in bad shape--they look okay to me in the pictures. I think new counters will just make the cabinets look shabby. I would improve the lighting, put in new stainless appliances and put any money that's left to the best quality new flooring you can manage for the whole unit. I might consider a tile backsplash.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

yes, too much brown.

no to dark counter, dark appl, dark anything more...

look at some white countertops on kit reveals here. I don't like most anything white (not even shoes) but I've seen some white countertops on here that look really good. Who recently posted the white soapstone? It was awesome.

white appliances if not SS type. again, I usually don't like either of those but you NEED them. btw, just send your bisque appl to me (I've got both. I'd keep 'em as spares. they are hard to find... mine are getting older...)

lighter paint on walls too. mine are basically bisque (yep; Navajo white). good all around basic LIGHT background color.

if you're too short for the over sink cab to bug you then you're probably too short for OTR mw. That'd be an accident happening soon...I'm short too - no otr mw for me!

do ski boots have spikes on them? I have no clue on that... but my vinyl planks have held up good to a pup's skidding and sliding (at high rate of speed) over them. I haven't been as lucky - people regularly ask me 'what happened to your legs (or arms or both)?' my reply is 'Puppy abuse!'

I don't think I even saw a BS... and spots on counters bug me. how can you tell if it's a REAL bug or not... an ant episode caused me to change my mind about a patterned /color counter top. I'm sticking with the old white laminate I have. Easier to see THEM.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Here's what I would do for starters:

LED tape lighting tucked away on top of the upper cabinet lighting and under the upper cabs.

An inexpensive but kinda' funky rail light for the kitchen.

Over the range microwave.

Vinyl plank flooring for the kitchen.

New knobs & pulls for the cabs in a silvery metal.

New white or off white shades in the living area.

White/ off white wall paint throughout.

These are all easy DIY things--and if you DIY, there should be money leftover in the budget.

I wouldn't do anything with the counters at this point--they look perfectly serviceable and since you don't have any plans to rent in the foreseeable future, it doesn't make sense to invest in counter tops now that will most likely look dated when/ if you decide to rent/ sell.

Too, too much brown as others have said. Get some colorful accents in there. Aqua, cream...

Ski posters?

{{gwi:2141767}}

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd remove the fluorescent light fixture and put recessed lighting in the ceiling.

As a vacation rental owner, I would recommend NOT getting SS appliances. Stick with white.

Yes to replacing range with a microwave above it.

Put a persian style rug down to warm up the kitchen.

Biggest expense, new counter with a low maintenance material that can withstand head, etc.

I would replace the double-basin sink for a single basin.

Paint walls a more vibrant color.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Spend your money on lighting and paint. You've indicated that you understand the need for new lighting. It would be cheaper to install a nice set of track lights than can lights. Under cabinet lighting will help, too.

OTR microwave, stainless or white appliances. I like black, too. But, this isn't the right application.

Reconsider painting the cabinets. They are a classic shape and there is no need to replace them. But, they are dark and you need reflective light. Paint is the cheapest update with the biggest impact. You don't have to do it yourself, you can hire someone.

If you paint, you will have the option to move the cabinet over the refrigerator forward and box in the unit for a built-in look. You might consider refacing the cabinets.

Paint the rest of the unit. Fresh paint. You need fresh paint. Did I say paint.

Forget solid surface or granite counters. Save your money. Have the laminate refaced. They are doing amazing things with laminates. I saw a marble style laminate that I had to touch in order to determine if it was real or laminate. You don't want to over improve, especially if you are underwater on the condo. You just want similar finishes to the development.

Tile the floors. Typically everyone clunks around in their boots or they are in socks. The tile will take the abuse. I wouldn't worry about the noise. If the noise is bothersome, tell them to take off their boots.

Use the following philosophy: It's good enough. Clean, bright, comfortable are good enough.

• practigal
    9 years ago

I'd do it one step at a time and I would start with the lighting. Followed by the appliances. Next I would clean up the caninets with Restor-a-finish, they'll look like new. Then I'd see what visually needs work next.
    The person who told you to consider what upgrades increase the rent is really onto something as this is a rental. If more lux will bring in more rent you need to consider that in your budget and, if it won't make much, if any difference, then you know to upgrade only so much. (Talk to tax man about improvements before you proceed).
    Given the narrow space you may want to consider a french door fridge as the door swing would be smaller.
    If the kitchen still needs more light, you could put up a light reflective backsplash on the stove and if still more light is needed you could add light reflective tiles on as a back splash.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Getting rid of the fluorescent light box and adding recessed and under cabinet lights will make a huge difference.

I don't mind your counters that much. I don't know if you can undermount a sink if you keep the existing counter. If not, I would get a stainless single-bowl and a stainless faucet.

A microwave/fan combination will free up your counter.

Relocate and change up the cabinet hardware. They're in a silly place now and draw attention to themselves and the cabinets. The cabinets are fine, but let them take a backseat.

Do not get black appliances. If you don't like the look of stainless or cleaning them, white is fine. I have a white stove and it's so easy to keep looking good.

Just updating the lighting will make that kitchen sparkle and sing.

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

We have a 1939 house and made our kitchen updates fit the period. Our updates shouldn't date quickly (like everything they will still date) and was more cost friendly since it fits with other parts of the home (i.e. no need to update the bathroom). We go to Hawaii twice a year and rent 1970s condos and would like some day to buy one. We also regularly rent condos/homes in the rural Pacific NW to go fly fishing. So as a condo/home vacation renter and recent home kitchen refresh person here are my opinions:

Lighting - a must. It's too yellow, too dated and too little for the space.

Appliances - a must. stainless is classic. white looks great in modern homes but I think will look dated in your condo; black is too dark.

Paint / backsplash - add color, art, bring it into now given the period. Neat art (like the poster in an above post) can really make an older condo look cared for.

Single bowl stainless sink & faucet - if funds allow. A tired sink is a turn off to a renter.

Some accesseories (art, pilllows, etc.) in living area can up the appeal at low cost. The above updates will probably eat up your entire planned budget (and then maybe some).

I would not change out the countertops. I think they fit the period of the condo. I like that they are light and if you change them they might not fit the period very well. Re:floors , it's hard to know without seeing them. If you do start renting it consider putting a dishwasher. It's such a drag to do dishes on vacation even though we enjoy cooking on vacation. It's now on a must have list for us. Also it's a drag when the equipment (peeler, spoons etc) are super low quality. I don't expect high end but things with a little quality (e.g. oxo brand) are very appreciated.

Checking out VRBO and Home Away to see how other condos in your area and building are styled can be very helpful to see what the competition looks like. Which appeal the most? What price range do you want to be in and what do those look like? What amenities do they have (e.g. DW)? Like many who use VRBO, we are value searchers. We want the best price with the particular amenities we demand (for us in Hawaii that's an oceanfront condo in a small building w/a pool). For similar priced places, we'll chose the one that looks well-cared for and a little refreshed. They are usually older places that look nice given their age. We really don't mind older if it is clean, tidy, uncluttered, and well-maintained.

Okay, I'll stop rambling. Good luck.

• Liz
    9 years ago

So the functional issues are 1) stove is dying and 2) area is dark.

I'd start with-
    -- Add lighting. Under cabinet + ceiling (replace existing fixture)
    -- New stove.
    -- Play with the range wall. Maybe open shelves + a chimney style range hood... would make the area appear less closed-in and brighter.
    -- Add a backsplash. This will bring in lots of light. Remove the wood strip where the counter meets the wall, and bring a tile splash all the way down to the counter.
    -- Remove cabinet over sink. Add a pendant or recessed light.
    -- Consider glass or mirrored doors on some uppers.

For counters, I'd go lighter rather than darker. And with a limited budget and older cabs, I'd really investigate laminate. You could upgrade your sink too, so long as you have it dropped it. With a tile backsplash that comes all the way to the counter, and a nice sink- the laminate counter will be fine.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Though the brown is warm and appropriate for a ski condo, in general having everything the same color becomes dull and flat. That is what people are reacting to.

Both your sofas and all your wood furniture is all chocolate brown.

Look at the rooms below in comparison. Though also largely brown and still rustic and warm, they have more pizzazz and dimension because they have:

1) several shades of brown
    2) taupes
    3) greys
    4) black accents
    5) red accents
    6) stainless steel accents
    7) muted greens
    8) muted blues
    9) cream
    10) white

Nearly all of them has at least one textural element too -- rough stone, paneling on the walls, branches, etc. That is another thing to think about adding to your space to give it some dimension.

This one has dark brown wood, chocolate leather, grey wood on the mantel, grey stone (lots of texture there), black accents, several mid-tone browns, cream, beige, and some green/red pattern on the cushion.
    {{gwi:2141768}}

This one has mid-tone brown, texture from the wood, dark brown, red, green, cream, white, and a tiny amount of black in the hardware.
    {{gwi:2141769}}

This one has mid-tone wood, grey wood, warmer red wood in the furniture, black/dark brown wood on the floor, beige curtains, cream walls, and blue accents:
    {{gwi:2141770}}

White walls, beige seat, mid-tone brown floors, darker-brown door and bar with hooks, burgundy, red, copper, green, and blue.
    {{gwi:2141771}}

This has stainless steel, mid-tone brown wood, chocolate wood (the counter in the back), grey-green cabinets, black chairs, cream walls, white dishes, copper, and some brighter green accents.
    {{gwi:2141772}}

This has grey stone, cream vanity and lamps, white towel, red branches (texture), camel paneling (texture), dark brown coffee beans, silver, and grey-blue towel.
    {{gwi:2141773}}

White walls, light brown wood, dark brown wood, black, grey/taupe, and muted yellow.
    {{gwi:2141774}}

Cream walls, grey tile and wood, black hardware, light brown wood, and darker wood.
    {{gwi:2141775}}

Some grey-blues with rustic wood and colors:
    {{gwi:2141776}}
    {{gwi:2141777}}

This is has black, dark brown, mid-tone brown, cream, orange, red, light brown, burgundy, and white.
    {{gwi:2141778}}

You get the picture. You could add a lot to what you currently have without making it less warm or less ski-condo-y.

Since your kitchen, living, and dining rooms are all open to each other, you have to think of them all at once when you update the kitchen finishes and perhaps the bathrooms down the line too.

Here are some color palettes along those lines you might consider working from, all of which include a lot of browns (and specifically chocolate brown so your furniture will fit right in):

{{gwi:2141779}}

{{gwi:2141780}}

{{gwi:2141782}}

{{gwi:2141783}}

{{gwi:2141784}}

This post was edited by Jillius on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 0:20

• practigal
    9 years ago

Jillius, I started reading at the bottom of this post and just looking at the pictures I knew that when I finally got up to the name only you would be able to find such great examples! Really amazingly beautiful stuff!

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Ha, how nice! I don't have any vision when it comes to decor, and my husband has even less, so I suppose I'm just in the habit of finding pictures of people's homes who have already figured it out better than I ever could. Thank goodness for pinterest!

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much. I have been reading and re-reading these ideas. I'll keep checking . . . and I promise to report back and show you what it looks like as I go.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I was home all day recuperating from a leg surgery, so I amused myself by coming up with some mood boards for you to help you visualize the color layering I mentioned earlier. I am sure what I've done can be vastly improved upon, but it will be a start.

First, if there is any way at all to relocate the front closet, this is how much bigger your kitchen would seem just from that change:

{{gwi:2141785}}

Secondly, given that you intend to keep using this condo for a long time and then maybe rent it, I personally would install real hardwood floors. Not laminate or vinyl. I'd make investing in the durability and beauty of hardwood my one big splurge in all of this. It will elevate every room in the whole condo.

I would suggest a light-colored rustic type of wood. Light because you have windows only on the one end of the condo, and rustic for the texture and the ambiance. (Also floors with some real pattern to them hide a lot of sins.)

So assuming light-colored wood (or wood-look vinyl, tile, or laminate) everywhere on the floors, this is what I'd do to the kitchen:

{{gwi:2141786}}

1) I'd keep the wall paint, cabinets, hardware, and wicker chairs the same.

2) Add a light-colored stone backsplash. This is both for brightness and texture, and it contrasts nicely with the dark cabinet wood. Also stone is usually all over fireplaces and steps and hearths in rustic cabins, so it fits right in.

3) Add off-white quartz counters. You may find that actual white looks off-white in the low light in your kitchen and off-white looks beige, so in that case, go with actual white (so off-white appearance is your result). This will be durable and keep things in the kitchen brighter. Also contrasts nicely with the existing dark cabinets.

4) Stainless appliances to reflect light and because a bit of metallic looks nice in rustic design. I notice most cabin/lodge kitchens have stainless steel, probably for that reason.

5) Bright, festive dishtowels for some color and fun.

The dining room:
    {{gwi:2141787}}

Because the living room and kitchen already had such large masses of darkness with the dark brown couches and dark brown cabinets that would be expensive to replace, I wanted very little darkness in the dining room. It looks crazy dark in your pictures with the dark brown table and dark brown (black?) chairs. It is another windowless room like the kitchen, so darkness is THE thing you have to consider in the dining room too.

At the very least, I would swap out your dining room table (the largest piece that sucks the most light) for something much lighter. But honestly, I'd get new chairs too. You can get a basic kitchen table and chairs on craigslist for, like, $30, and you'd not be looking for anything fancy anyway.

1) I put in a lighter, warm wood table. If you don't see a table like that on craigslist, check unfinished furniture stores or Ikea (Ikea always has some simple wood kitchen tables that are very affordable). I like that color of wood table I put in the mood board because it relates to the existing window shades in the living room.

2) I added some cheerful red chairs. You could get almost any set of chairs for a song on craiglist and spray paint them red. If you're not up for any DIY, these in red would do.

3) I added a white/cream drum pendant. The color is light and bright, the shade has some texture, and this light is also a very basic thing that can be bought anywhere for cheap. I also wanted to repeat at least a little white/cream in each room so the kitchen's quartz doesn't end up looking out of place.

This is the pendant I used in the mood board. I liked it because it had 3 light bulbs, so it should be bright. But again, you can get a white drum pendant anywhere for a lot cheaper than that.

4) I was going to put this mirror on the wall in the dining room to reflect light, but then I found the moose. I love the moose.

I compromised with my initial mirror thought by putting the moose in a mirrored frame.

I would strongly support your simply getting the moose, but in general, the goal with either the mirror or the moose was simply to put something on the wall that was overall light in color, but that had a bit of dark brown and/or black in it to tie in with the dark kitchen cabinets and the dark living room couches. (While I didn't want another big mass of darkness, you do need a touch of darkness to relate to the other rooms and for dimension/contrast in the dining area.) Finding something cheap to hang on the wall there that is mostly light with a bit of darkness shouldn't be hard. Any picture with a pale mat/background and a dark frame would work too.

The living room:
    {{gwi:2141788}}

In this room, all the furniture is currently dark brown, so it was my goal to mix that up. The couches are the most expensive item here to replace, so those were staying from the get-go. I just looked at replacing tables (side, coffee, console), which can be done cheaply. (I didn't end up replacing them all.) I kept the lamps, skis, and window treatments.

1) I put down a rustic-style rug for some color and pattern. You have all flat, solid colors in the current living room. It needs pattern and texture.

This is the one I used, but Ikea has a cheaper one, or you could throw down a couple cheap/homemade rag rugs.

2) I added in a matte silver picture frame for a bit of metallic accent in this room and to tie into the stainless appliances in the kitchen. You could group a few matte silver frames on the wall or display them on a side table. I liked that that particular frame had some texture.

I'd put pictures in the frames that have a lot of white/cream in them to repeat the tones in the quartz and the dining room pendant.

3) I swapped out the coffee table for one that is one of the colors in the palettes I suggested earlier, but isn't dark brown.

I liked that you would see the a lot of the new carpet under this coffee table, but that table is quite pricey. Shouldn't be hard to find a cheap one that is in the color scheme (or would be after an easy paint job), but not dark brown or black.

(Something upholstered like this could work too.)

4) I swapped out one of the side tables for one that isn't dark brown and was a different color from the new coffee table. The one I used was this one.

Again, it'd be cheap to get something on craigslist that fits in the bill (in the color palette, but not dark brown or black), or that fits the bill after a bit of paint.

5) I added this pillow for contrast and to help repeat the white/cream that the ski pillows and frames pictures were already doing.

Ikea has a bunch of alpine-ish textiles. If you are looking to pump up the bedrooms too, check out their duvet covers and pillow shams.

This nightstand in blue would also work really well in a ski condo bedroom.

Also, I thought these would work well in your place, but I didn't end up using them. Perhaps you will find a use for them?

Rustic mirror
    Interesting rustic table
    Coffee table

Here is everything all together, so you can see how it all relates:
    {{gwi:2141789}}

This post was edited by Jillius on Sat, Jan 3, 15 at 5:55

• amykath
    9 years ago

I think your living room just needs a lighter rug with some accents of color. That would definitely add a nice feeling to an already lovely room.

I would keep the same wall color in the kitchen that is in your living room.

I would find a light colored granite, marble or siltstone countertop.

Buy stainless or stainless look appliances, including a microwave for over the range.

Replace fluorescent fixture with cans and add under cabinet lighting. I don't think i would add pendants. I'd keep the space open

If you can, I would change out the cab over the stove to open shelving.

For flooring, I'd choose something inexpensive but durable. Adding a small rug in the kitchen would make a huge difference in adding texture, color and warmth.

Also a nice backsplash in a lighter tone would really add to the space.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I would add some molding to the cabinets, like this:

{{gwi:2141790}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Tutorial

• LE
    9 years ago

I didn't know what kind of fridge panel Pal was referring to, so I clicked on the link. That looks impressive, at least in the "after" photo! That would add a lot of reflected light, as well. Otherwise, I'm all on board with the "redo the lighting" suggestions above.

I was having a hard time figuring out what was practical for flooring in your situation. Where do people put on and take off their boots? I'm not visualizing people, even renters, wanting to clomp about in ski boots as they are just not that comfortable for walking in. (And I'd simply kill anyone in my family who did that.)

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Continued thanks for the ideas!

We usually put our boots on at the table and walk out the door. Sometimes make a trip back to the bedroom to grab something. When we come home we often take them off outside the front door to avoid bringing in more snow.

That being said, the floor always gets wet with boots, dogs, etc. There's not a great area near the door. But we usually have shoes off within 10 feet of the door.

I'm wondering if high-end vinyl might be a good way to go. My friend has it in her basement because she couldn't have real wood and it looks nice. Water isn't an issue with it. We have real hardwood at home and it just wouldn't be practical for this condo. Wood-look tile would be an option.

I love Jillius' ideas. I want to just start buying rugs and lamps and art . . . The good news is I have a lot of stuff from home that I can bring here - red and cream pillows for example. I love red. I think the dark furniture we bought for the condo was probably a reaction to the blond oak furniture that was here originally. Unfortunately criagslist and Ikea can be a little difficult when you're rural. The nearest Ikea is 6 hours away. I can't just pop into Homegoods or such. But I'm going to look more at Overstock.com.

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas so far.

This is a flooring product I like. These are my choices. #6 seems too grey to me. Also too weathered. But this sure would break up the brown tones. I like #5, but probably too brown. Maybe #3 or #4?

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I like #4. It's light, but still warm.

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I've ordered stainless appliances and I've taken one of my cabinet doors and looked around town and here's what I'm thinking. In person, my current oak cabinets look good with these choices. The backslash would definitely not be the same as counter (too dark) either painted light or cream subway tile. I tried to go with white counter tops but I really didn't like the look. I'll also add under cab lights. New sink and faucet too. Of course my original budget idea is way over with that flooring choice and quartz.
    {{gwi:2141791}}

{{gwi:2141792}}
    quartz countertop in Silestone Mountain Mist {{gwi:2141793}}

stainless appliances (range, fridge, dishwasher, microwave hood)

Karndean vinly flooring in Tasmanian Wattle {{gwi:2141794}}

This post was edited by ShellKing on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 20:56

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I could use some advice on paint color for the kitchen walls. Is anyone still reading this reading this thread?

Can I do something crazy like orange or red? Or should I stick to off-white? I pulled old cans of the original paint from under the sink. I could get the same paint and just redo the really dirty walls. FYI, the whole room (including dining area and living area) has cream on one side, including the kitchen and beige on the other side of the room. So if you're sitting on the couch under the antique skis, the wall behind you is beige and the wall in front of you is cream.

Any advice? Also, should I post pictures as I go on this project or do you just want to see the reveal?

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

Your dark kitchen reminded me a bit of a rustic kitchen we gave a makeover to in our first house in Maine. Here's the before (with previous owner's stuff) and after.

How would you feel about painting just the uppers a light cream? I think you can still maintain the rustic vibe. Under cabinet lighting with a reflective backsplash can help a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: $425 kitchen makeover

• Shell King
    9 years ago

We really don't want to paint the wood, which is in great condition. But the uppers could be changed to glass front. The dishes inside are a very organized, matching, white set. Wondering more about that idea. Should I do all? some? The dishes are in the ones above the coffee makers in my original post.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths