SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudworm_gw

Construction adhesive behind stainless steel backsplash a must???

mudworm
9 years ago

Hi, tomorrow a helper is coming to help me install a 36"x30" stainless steel backsplash. We need to take the exhaust fan off because the backsplash is higher than the available gap above countertop, and the sheet is too ridge to be forced in in the gap behind. The edges in the sheet are bent back in and there are four holes in the corners for fasteners.

Here is my question: if we are screwing the four corners, why does the instruction say construction adhesive is also required? Having installed many things, I've learned that if you can avoid making things permanent, do avoid it -- you never know when you may need to take something off. For that reason, I'm hesitant about applying the adhesive. Can someone tell me what might happen if I don't apply the adhesive (after the four corners are screwed against the wall)?

Oh, BTW, after installing the backsplash, we are going to tile on both sides and caulk the gaps. In the long run, if something bad happened because I skipped the adhesive, it will not be that easy to redo it because it will again involve redoing the exhaust fan and caulking with the tiles on both sides. So, I want to do it right, but still want to avoid gluing it down if its not necessary. Hence my question...

Awaiting for some insight before the project starts... Thank you!!!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County