SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annaw_123

Short Term Inexpensive Countertop Solutions?

annaw_123
9 years ago

We've just moved into a new house that has mid 1990's builder grade everything. I desperately want new cabinets, countertops and floors but I just don't want to spend much money right now.

I've decided I can live with the cabinets after painting them (or staining - still on the fence about that one) and the current floors. But the countertops are the problem. They are light mauve and will not fit with the paint colors we prefer.

I'd like to find something that will work for right now until we get granite countertops in a year or two.

I've been reading online about Ikea's butcherblock countertops and countertop paints. I really like the look of the butcherblock but worry that it would hurt the resale value of the house more than the 1990's laminate. I've never seen butcherblock countertops here. We think we want to stay here for at least 5 years but never want to shut any doors, KWIM? I don't know how cheap this option would be because we would need to pay a carpenter to cut the countertops. We're kind of handy but have no experience working with wood.

Honestly if we were going to keep the house long term I'd think seriously about the butcherblock. I like the way it looks and I don't like granite all that much. It's just that granite is expected in this neighborhood for an upgraded kitchen.

The pictures of the paint (Giani and Rust-Oleum) look really good but I worry that they might look or feel cheap in real life. I'm worried about chipping. We've got children.

If you were looking for a short term solution to dated countertops which would you choose? Am I overlooking an option?

Comments (20)