SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kris4199

Window treatments for dining room with a view

kris4199
9 years ago

I'm looking for help/suggestions on what to do with dining room windows that have a view of a lake. I have 7 large windows where every other window is a casement window. The room gets a ton of sun but is cold in winter and hot in the summer. I am also looking to get some privacy at night when we are eating dinner. I've had Smith and Noble come as well as Hunter Douglas. They both suggested a honeycomb shade would work best in insulating the room a bit. I picked out shades and fabric for a valence but I am second guessing myself. I would love to do curtains with shades but I think that would be way over my budget. So now I am thinking of possibly doing a fixed curtain with shades but would I also need to do a valence with that? I'm trying to soften the room up a bit since the floors and walls are gray. I think a curtain would achieve that but the cost is just crazy with these windows. Just not sure which way to go.

Also, the woman from Smith and Noble suggested doing shades on every window but the guy from Hunter Douglas suggested doing one shade for all four windows and one for the wall with three. Not sure which way I should go with this? Anyone have opinions on this? Because of the casements we have to do an outside mount.

As for a valence, Smith and Noble said they could not do a cornice because of the limited space between the window and ceiling. So they suggested a valence and rod. But the guy from Hunter and Douglas was so against doing a rod valence and really pushed going with a cornice. He said they could mount it from the ceiling and would give a much cleaner look. Thoughts?

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions on this. I'm really at a loss and I just want to make sure I make the right decision since this is a big investment. My husband is also going to be sanding and re-staining the windows before the treatments go up and I am going to be painting the furniture white as well. I'm looking forward to finally getting this room completed! thanks for reading this long post and helping me decide!!

Comments (17)