SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
legomom23

What to do with a room dilemma

legomom23
9 years ago

Ok, I can't post pics, but our house is the type when you walk in the front door there is little foyer and you are looking at stairs. To your left is what should be a formal living room and directly behind that - but open to it, is a dining room.
We have been using the dining room as a play/toy room for the last 10 years, but are in the process of changing it into a formal dining room. The room that should be a living room is mostly being used as a mudroom, storage area although it is decorated at a semi-formal living room.
The issue is we have no real place to put stuff when you walk in the door. We do not even have a hall closet. We also have a younger lab doggy who still gets into stuff and this room is gated off. So my son puts his back-pack and gym bag in there, and my husband and I put all our stuff in there we don't want the dog to get :)
This room also has the only south facing window so, we all like to sit in the sun in there as well.
Question - is there anything I can do to this room that will look nice enough to be beside a formal dining room when it's in use, but is useful to us the other days of the year?
Has anyone seen anything like this that can get me started in the right direction of thinking outside the box for this room?

Comments (8)