SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neubz

Rookies designing our own kitchen. Thoughts on layout?

neubz
9 years ago

Hi. My wife and I are working on the layout for our new kitchen. We have never done this before. Our house is a 1926 tudor with 8'2" ceilings. The main goal of the renovation is to open up the kitchen (knock out one wall, remove some cabinets blocking the middle of the kitchen, etc.).

Attached is how we see the final product. I've tried to include dimensions of spaces, etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated. In particular:

Would it be worthwhile to shift the range and hood to the right so that it lines up in a line with the sink and the breakfast nook? My wife likes symmetry.

Instead of having the range in the island, should we consider putting the range where the fridge is currently located, and then shift the fridge closer to the garage door? Although that change would seem to put the person working at the range far from whatever is going on in the breakfast nook.

Does it seem like we have enough clearance between the various surfaces?

Do you think the range hood will obstruct the room (one of the problems we are trying to solve in the first place)? One thought is to mount the hood 40" above the cook surface, thereby causing less obstruction. The range hood we are looking at is a cool looking specialty copper piece, so putting it in the middle might not be a bad thing.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments (22)