SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20102524

Two sofas facing each other & perpendicular TV viewing

User
9 years ago

Apologies in advance for the bizarre post title; I wasn't really sure what the right terms are to describe my question.

I posted a long thread on reconfiguring my small, narrow (12x20) living room, with the thought of having 2 sofas facing each other on either long wall. There is a large picture window on one end (with a built in window seat) and I would move the TV to the interior short wall, which also has a door opening to our newly renovation galley kitchen.

Several very helpful GWers commented that TV viewing would be a problem, which would be a total deal-breaker for my husband and 2 elementary school aged boys. But I see a gazillion photos like this on Houzz, mostly with TVs, and even some of the most beautiful spaces that have been shared here on GW do as well. In fact the idea came to me after seeing a recent post by @mahlgold on coffee table sizing and remembering that @kwsl's awesome basement reno also has a movie area with 2 parallel sofas.

Admittedly most are much bigger spaces than mine so the sofas can float in the room rather than sit against the walls, but the impact on TV viewing would seem to be the same. And yes, it feels a bit more civilized for non-TV entertaining, although that is nowhere near the top of my priority list.

So I wanted to throw out the question to anyone here who has a TV that is perpendicular to the main seating area(s) rather than face-on. Is it comfortable or not? If it matters, my people are big on laying/slouching on sofas rather than sitting with optimal posture.

Here are some shots of what I'm considering, although admittedly my space is nowhere near as nice as any of these:

{{gwi:2138424}}

Traditional Family Room by Dallas Home Builders Williams Drake: Build I Remodel I Landscape

{{gwi:2138425}}

Traditional Living Room by Raleigh Interior Designers & Decorators Otrada LLC

div>{{gwi:2138426}}

Contemporary Living Room by Melbourne Interior Designers & Decorators Massimo Interiors

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH