SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martin_z

Ali Smith - How To Be Both - Discussion

martin_z
9 years ago

Hi all

Welcome to the discussion of Ali Smith's recent book, How To Be Both. Shortlisted for the Booker - and I think it should have won it. I found it far more captivating that the eventual winner, and far more interesting on a re-read - or even multiple re-reads. I've read it three times, and read parts of it many more times. It's a book I can dip into - it's just got wonderful writing on every page.

As always, in these discussions, SPOILERS ABOUND.

I'm going to start by pointing people at this very interesting article in the Guardian.

And I'm going to throw the discussion open by asking a few questions which relate specifically to the way the book is written. The book is in two parts - one of which is called "Eye" and is about a fifteenth century artist, the other of which is called "Camera", about a teenage girl of the present day who has very recently lost her mother. And I'm sure you're all aware that the book is available in two versions - Eye followed by Camera, or the other way round.

So which is your version - Eye/Camera or Camera/Eye? That is - did you have the artist first or the young girl first? Are you happy with the way you read them? Would you have preferred the other way? Do you feel that this is an imaginative and interesting way of writing the book - or just a gimmick? Which half worked best for you and why?

Feel free to answer the questions above, to make any comments about the article I've posted - or to talk about anything else about the book that interests you!

Comments (59)