SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slk7e7

Please critique my layout!

9 years ago

Hi all, I've posted before about the process to hire a design-build firm and my husband and I both greatly appreciated the (sometimes brutally) honest feedback.

We've found a KD (at a design-build) that we really like and are on the second draft of a layout. Please forgive the picture quality; the plans were too large for me to scan so it's just a picture of the paper plans.

We have two small kids (4 and 1) and are in our house for the long haul. I am the only cook but like all homes the kitchen is the heart of our home. It opens to an eating area and living room (all very open).

My main question/concern with this layout is the placement of the sink in a corner. I'm afraid it may feel awkward and not be the best use of space.

The island is narrow but I'm ok with that, I think. Would love feedback, though.

The laundry room is adjacent and I'd like to push it back another 6" to make it a true galley room and use that space in the kitchen instead (we are already moving that wall about 12"). I think we'll close it off with a pocket door.

Across from laundry room will be a utility closet on the right with space for hanging brooms, and cubbies/hooks for kids' coats on the left. The garage entry is to the left of that.

Across island from the 36" range top is wall oven/convection microwave, pantry, fridge, and command center.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I'm terrified I'm making huge mistakes somewhere and this is the only shot I'm getting to ever design my own kitchen.

Comments (4)