SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2015

Laminate seams around sink... Is this acceptable?

srb2015
9 years ago

Hello everyone! I love reading these forums but have never needed to post my own question until today.

We recently undertook a DIY kitchen renovation and have finished everything except the countertop. We have a friend (bad idea to go this route in hindsight) who is a contractor, so we used him to get a contractor rate on a new laminate countertop. He took the measurements and placed an order with 84 Lumber, who subs out the fabrication to another company.

We were originally told we'd get the counters in 2-3 weeks. It ended up being more like 6 weeks and we finally got the counters in yesterday, mostly. One part was chipped and returned to be fixed, and two pieces were missing.

My main concern is the number of seams in the counter (on every single corner) and especially the seams around the sink. We have a corner sink. As you can see in the photos below, they cut 2 separate parts to make up the corner section, meaning there will be a very large seam running just behind the sink, and two corner seams on either side. The back triangle section is one that is missing, and they will be sending it to us.

Is this a normal configuration for cutting laminate around a corner sink? To me it seems like far to many seams within inches of the sink. We asked our friend the contractor, and he said the fabricators wouldn't do one large piece, and that we'd have to get a custom countertop to do that. We had the countertop fabricated based on our kitchen measurements... isn't that custom enough?

Can someone with more knowledge on this subject please let me know if this was done correctly, or if I am right to be upset? We paid $1400 and waited over a month to get the countertop done. Is it too much to ask that it would be done without so many seams?

Thank you all!
{{gwi:2136494}}
{{gwi:2136495}}

Comments (11)