SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdmtnwmn

Teacher won't answer my question

mdmtnwmn
9 years ago

This is pretty straightforward. My daughters' teacher put a question on a test that made no sense. I don't object to difficult questions or questions calling for critical thinking, nothing like that. The question itself didn't make sense because the premise - that a character had done something - wasn't true; nothing in the story showed or implied the character did the thing the question was about.

So trying to be open minded but curious as all get out, I asked the teacher about it. She wouldn't tell me what she meant by the question or what answer she had expected (she doesn't pass corrected papers back to the kids because "they should know what they did wrong" based on her instruction).

Long story shorter, although asked nicely twice, she didn't answer the question about the question. She just said some stuff about the course goals.

I'm not a helicopter parent. My kids have 32 school years in among them and I've asked this kind of question only three times. I can't remember ever having a strained relationship with any teacher let along have one be hostile out of the gate, and I've dealt with a lot. Before this year, this teacher and I had a good, friendly, personal relationship - she just did a 180 the first time I asked about something.

Anyone else run into something like this? Why wouldn't a teacher explain a test question and answer to a parent?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert