SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

plaster repair on ceiling

weedyacres
9 years ago

We're about to launch the reno of our last room in our 1920 house. It needs some plaster repair: a couple missing chunks on the wall where I tore out the closet, a few sections of the wall where moderately-sized chunks have broken their keys and are leaning outward, and the ceiling, which is getting quite wavy.

I'm all for retaining plaster when possible. We'll repair the walls with Big Wally's magic adhesive wonder-system. I'm wondering about the ceiling. Simplest seems to be sheet it with 1/2" drywall over top of the plaster to hold everything in. LR has already had that done by a PO, and one wall of the other bedroom is now drywall instead of plaster (PO as well). The kitchen is all drywall (we moved doorways and windows and ripped out cabinets) and one LR wall is also drywall (we removed 1940's-added paneling). So we're not talking high-dollar house in which everything must be preserved to ensure maximum market value. Ceilings are already high (nearly 9'), and new closet will be drywalled.

What say you, old house experts? Is it most expedient to drywall over the ceiling plaster or can it be repaired with Big Wally's superglue?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH