SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bee0hio

Share your teapot pics

bee0hio
9 years ago

We've been discussing tea & teapots on the "Don't Squeeze" thread. I thought it might be fun to share our pics of our teapots.

Here's mine that I've used daily for years. I think it is from Hull Pottery. As I took the pic, I see that it could use a good shining up on the outside. Please add your pic of a favorite teapot, or even your collection...

Comments (56)

• FlamingO in AR
    9 years ago

Here's one like mine on eBay.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is what mine looks like

• sjerin
    9 years ago

I was researching teapots last year so I could give my dd a good one for her birthday. It was so sad to me to discover that many of the good, old (British) brands have been sold to other companies that make them much more cheaply with lesser quality materials. I think I ended up with one made by the Japanese company that makes the 'beehive' pots--can't remember the name at the moment. I love, love looking at all your pretty teapots!

• Related Discussions

Teapot Totum pic in garden

Q

Comments (20)
    deanie, Basically most people use GE Silicone II. You can get it at a home suppy store. Here's someone else's partial post "If you are making a free standing totem, a large plate or bowl on the bottom helps to stabilize it, especially if you cover the plate with mulch or dirt. I quess the height is your own personal preference, you will know when it looks right. I have left mine out overwinter, but I live in the deep South and we rarely have hard freezes. Make sure all of your pieces are placed to where they do not hold water, unless of course you are making a bird bath. In other words if you use a saucer place it upside down." Have fun!! You can also do a search on this forum and find lots of instructions and ideas!!! Pam
    ...See More

6' Overhang enough for counter height stools? Share your pics

Q

Comments (22)
    We had the same problem as you in that we needed every available inch. I just measured and my overhand is 6 3/4 inches and I believe that will work for us. It will be used more for a sitting and talking space and only eat there on Thanksgiving when we run out of seats at the tables. If it was used daily to eat there, then you might want more. It also will not be used daily as a sitting and talking space. I hope to post "almost" finished pictures tonight or tomorrow and you can see mine. One of my pictures shows a saddle stool beneath the overhang. I chose that style stool because I did not want a big stool for a small overhang. In the picture is a 29" stool, but I swapped it for a 24" stool.
    ...See More

Please Share Pics of Your Wood Paneled Rooms - PICS

Q

Comments (39)
    debelli, the dark cherry paneling is from a house around the corner in our neighborhood. We tried to put in a bid, but found out the bank (it was a foreclosure) had already accepted a bid less than 24 hours before. We were pretty bummed, we really loved all the built in storage in that house. We fell in love with the neighborhood, so we kept looking and found our current house about a month or so later. The yellow-y looking paneling with the table and lamp is our actual office, although it's the listing picture. We haven't taken any pictures of this (I'm sitting in it) because we have it jam packed with IKEA office furniture. It's absolutely utilitarian, so definitely wouldn't inspire. DH works from home. Since the rest of the house needs work, I'm leaving this office to last. I'm guessing that we won't do much, no paint, DH doesn't want to change the paneling at all. The houses in my neighborhood were built between the mid eighties to mid nineties and ALL of them have paneling of some type either in an office or formal living room. I believe nearly everyone's paneling is done with birch luan and molding trim. Kathe
    ...See More

Mohawk Revwood Plus or Premier - Please Share Pics of Your Floor!

Q

Comments (2)
    Did you end up installing Chamois oak? I'm considering it for my new home.
    ...See More
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I have several, many decorative, I just liked them. I have a very old clear Pyrex one that I use.
    This one is from World Market, I thought it was a cute cup and pot.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Here it is apart.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    9 years ago

This cat teapot came from my brother - it was the beginning of my collection.

{{gwi:2135569}}

This second one came from my sister. I just love how formal it is.

{{gwi:2135570}}

The last picture is a picture frame I received from yet another sister.

{{gwi:2135571}}

I have probably 40 teapots including little ornamental ones.

• OklaMoni
    9 years ago

I own two. Not sure, why two, cause it is just me... :)

but the one on the left is porcelain, and sitting on what we call in Germany a "Stoefchen", which is used with a tea light to keep your tea hot, and the one on the right, just looked like it should come home with me from Burlington Coat factory about 15 years ago. It actually is my favorite pot to drink tea from.

{{gwi:2135572}}

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

Sherin, you're so right about the old British companies being outsourced. It's such a shame.

You can still find authentic, embossed "Made in England" ones in thrift shops and eBay. My Gibson's is British and cost $20 at a thrift store. It's worth every penny!

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

stoevchen = warmer

v sounds like f, as you know

• Cherryfizz
    9 years ago

haha I was given weak tea in my baby bottle, English and Scottish family, tea always at the ready, hot in the pot. I never, ever order tea in a restaurant, won't drink it out of a foam or paper cup either. I am so picky about how I drink my tea I only drink it out of a bone china or porcelain mug or tea cup unless I am at someone's home and don't want to be rude. Tastes better for some reason haha and in my opinion flavoured "tea" isn't really tea.

• emma
    9 years ago

Here is mine. It matches my dishes.

• phyllis__mn
    9 years ago

I have at least 75 teapots, but they are boxed up right now because I have my Christmas ones out yet! The one I am using every day right now (that changes!) is a soft blue one from England. It just feels so right in my hand. I don't buy any these days, but do get the occasional one as a gift.

• Tally
    9 years ago

This one of my favorites from my collection. The end pieces are the matching sugar and creamer.

I don't actually use a teapot in reality - just the kettle and the mug!

• Sue_va
    9 years ago

BeeOHIO, what a great idea! I love seeing all the tea pots, and could not pick a favorite one if I had to. I'm not a camera person so I have no pics to show. :(( You all have given me an idea though; I think I'll check out eBay to see if I can find any like mine.

I agree that you can't find good tea in a restaurant; I just ask for water. Back in 1944, when my DH and I got married, he was stationed in Idaho; I lived in No. VA. I went with him to Idaho, and one day we went to a Chinese restaurant. I ordered ice tea. The poor waiter was completely confused. I tried to explain what I wanted. He brought me a cup of tea with an ice cube in it.

Sue

• terilyn
    9 years ago

I don't drink tea regularly, but my aunt sent me this. To me, it is pricesless.

• ginger_st_thomas
    9 years ago

I'll have to get mine out but one thing you have to do is put very hot water in the pot while the tea water is boiling, then dump out the pot, put in the tea & top w/boiling water. I also have several tea cozies that I use when I make tea. They do work.

• ntt_hou
    9 years ago

I tend to pop in KT now and then. Today, I found this thread, my kind of topic :)

I love teapots and teapot sets but it can be overwhelming to collect all types. So, since I'm Asian, I had narrowed down to collect Yixing teapots and teapot sets only. Yet, along the way, I seemed to inherit other type as well.

Some background: These type of teapots are made of specific clay from the Yixing region in China. The clay is elastic and absorbent. It allows the clay to be mold into all sort of design. These type of teapots are usually small, not large like teapots from the West (as in Europe & America).

Before the teapot can be used, it needs to be treated (aka: seasoning). Because of its absorbent characteristic, each teapot should be used for 1 kind of tea only. Otherwise, the flavor from various teas will get mixed. It has known that through many years of use, one can add just hot water, no tea, into the teapot and tea will come out from the teapot.

I have a small collection of these Yixing teapots. Most of them are of mass production kind. The designer collection costs much more than I can handle. Here's some that I have.

{{gwi:2135573}}

{{gwi:2135574}}

{{gwi:2135575}}

{{gwi:2135576}}

This post was edited by ntt_hou on Wed, Jan 7, 15 at 4:32

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Here's a little smile for you.
    This one isn't my daily tea pot, it's a cream coloured one, this shape, a Brown Betty style.

Caroline, you mentioned that your pot holds 1/2 gallon of water, for all-day drinking. Do you microwave your mug of tea when the pot gets cold? I assume you throw out your tea bag once it's steeped as well, vs keeping it in the pot.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Beautiful teapots everyone. I have a fondness for them and often have to resist bringing one home because it would be all too easy to end up with a kitchen full.

I have a pewter teapot with a matching sugar and creamer. It's the Steiff Colonial Williamsburg set and I received it as a wedding gift. I love the graceful design of the teapot and the rich Rosewood handle.

But I really like my tea hot, especially since I add creams I only brew one cup at a time.

Here is a link that might be useful: teapot

• socks
    9 years ago

Bee, what a great thread! Thank you for starting it. I've enjoyed each photo along with the "chat" about tea.

I drink tea some afternoons, but I'm not crazy about it. Caroline, maybe you are right--brewing 1 mug at a time in microwaved water may not be the best way!

• bee0hio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This has been fun & I interesting for us "teatotalers". Thanks to the participants.

Yes Ginger, I too do that hot water in the teapot (as well as the mug) to preheat before the boiling water. And the teapot is sitting right next to the kettle so it is as hot as possible when poured over the tea.

I only have 2 teapots, this being my second one. But it only holds one cup so I don't use it. I almost always use my Pfaltzgraff mug, so I parked it beside to show how small the teapot is. It was made by McCoy Pottery.

• alisande
    9 years ago

This is such a nice thread. I love all your teapots! I have just two more to add.

My Scottish ancestors are probably doing a lot of eye-rolling right now (or worse!) because I'm such a poor tea-maker. I can't handle very much caffeine, so my tea doesn't get steeped . . . it gets dunked. Tsk, tsk, I know. And I've never used any of my teapots. I feel bad about that, though, especially because the following two were gifts. All the above posts have inspired me to remedy that situation.

First, here's one similar to Raven's. My daughter gave it to me:

{{gwi:2135577}}

This graceful teapot was a gift from my daughter-in-law. (The white circle is something my camera did.) A recessed stainless steel mesh basket sits at the top to hold loose tea. I assume the steam brews the tea after the water is poured through it? Unless you're supposed to fill the teapot to the top?

{{gwi:2135578}}

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Ntt_hou, I love your collection....so beautiful. I have a collection of Yixing clay teapots, myself, as well as some made of cast iron.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    9 years ago

Here are a couple more of mine. I don't use them either because I just make tea by the cup - boiling water, of course. LOL

This first one is a clever one my mom gave me for Christmas many years ago. It's a desk with a typewriter with a paper (crime novel being written). There is also a little waste basket to the side. The top comes off of that too.

{{gwi:2135579}}

The second one would probably hold only one cup of tea but it's so cute that I use it to keep teabags in and keep it on my counter.

{{gwi:2135580}}

This is a really nice thread. I love seeing everybody's pots and hearing their stories.

• susanjf_gw
    9 years ago

murrays mom? not only is it a darling teapot but the one paw cat is a sign of good luck...I have 2 of the cats (just figurines) but in the good luck space of the lr, lol....

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

Jasdip, my large Gibson's teapot will fill five large mugs. So I use six teabags in it. I let them steep in the boiling water, 5-10 minutes (a bit long, I know!) and then remove them. We like strong tea, and if I'm needing a quick charge I'll use seven bags. One of my nephews uses 10!

I know it's sacrilege, but once I make the pot full in the morning, I do microwave my mug full of cooler tea throughout the day. I can't stop and brew one cup at a time. When the pot is empty I boil more water and start over to DH will have hot, fresh tea when he comes in after work.

I have this pattern for a wonderful tea cozy. It looks like a meadow hill covered with rabbits. Now to find someone that loves to knit fussy, fuzzy patterns!!!

• Cherryfizz
    9 years ago

Love all the teapot pics. Love your tea cozy Caroline. I need to get a tea cozy, normally I just use a tea towel but sometimes I forget the pot is underneath and I am afraid one day it is going to end up on the floor. I steep my tea but never take the tea bags out until it is empty, I prefer strong tea, same for a tea leaf infuser.

Here is a link to some of my pots. Not a good picture of the ones on top of the cupboards, too high up to take a good picture. My favourite tea bag tea is Red Rose Canadian Breakfast tea, 3-4 bags per pot in the Pyrex tea pot.

I inherited the Gladstone china tea set (pot was broken) from my Aunt. I have many tea cups and saucers that are my own, some were my Moms, and my Aunt Joan gave me all hers before she passed away. I love using them.

Jasdip, I don't like the flavour of Tetley Tea, something about it doesn't taste right to me. Marketplace did a story on tea and found that Tetley tea has some issues with pesticides and such.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea pots

• Sue_va
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2135581}}

Sometimes I have to wonder about myself! It didn't occur to me to mention the things I have in the 2 curio cabinets in the living room;probably because I spend very little time there. So I did a Google search and found a picture of the tea pot that matches the set that I have; the pot, sugar, creamer and six small cups and saucers. It was a gift from my DH's brother to us. It is CHUGAI CHINA and is a made in Occupied Japan set. I also have a one cup size tea pot that my DH brought home from the South Pacific, and a set of Cherry China cups that my DMIL gave us. Everything in those curios has a story.

Sue

9 years ago

Caroline, that tea cozy is the cutest thing! My wonderful English SIL would swoon over it.

• chisue
    9 years ago

nitt_hou -- Fascinating information about the teapots intended to brew only a single flavor of tea! All I know about special teas I learned from "Lydia Chin", the lady detective in the novels by S. J. Rozan.

Sue-va -- The shape of that pot and description of tiny cups makes me wonder if you have a chocolate set, not tea.

I have two teapots at home. One is a pretty floral pattern porcelain, and the other is my Scots grandmother's plain, heavy brown pot with a flat lid that hooks onto the 'thumb rest' portion of the pot. I see see similar pots being used 'downstairs' in period dramas.

Grandmother immigrated to NYC by sailing ship before 1900, when she was 16. I don't know if this pot came with the family, but it's likely. Only she survived her mother, brother and sisters -- all died of TB in America. I don't know if they came with TB or caught it in the city. The first sister came over, became a nurse, saved and sent passage for the rest of the family to come.

• Cherryfizz
    9 years ago

Caroline, I know someone who I think would love to knit that cozy. She lives in England and knits the cutest things and so tiny. She recently knitted a teeny tiny sweater and mittens to go inside a Christmas bulb using toothpicks to knit them. I would love to pass along that cozy pattern if you are willing to give it up.

Lovely pot Sue, over the years I have been given teeny tiny tea sets and one of them looks similar to that one. I always thought it was a coffee pot though since it is tall. I wish I still had all those little sets I had. One year my Aunt Elizabeth sent my 2 cousins and I a bone china tea set for a child to use. I don't know whatever happened to mine, was never allowed to play with it. One of my cousins still has hers. Mine could be under the eaves but I will never know since I am too afraid to venture in there less I fall through the ceiling in the living room. There are just rafters and no floor boards

9 years ago

Caroline, there's also a 'Sack of Mice' cozy pattern from the same designer. It's even cuter, if that's possible.

• chisue
    9 years ago

Knitting on toothpicks reminds me of an opposite. I started a Kate Atkinson book, "Extremely Weird", before we left for Maui. She describes a weird girl at her university who favors a 'homespun' look. She describes the girl's sweater as appearing to have been knit on tent poles.

• grandmamary_ga
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing your teapots. I have enjoyed seeing them. I have a revere wear tea kettle on the stove at all times. For tea and instant coffee. I also have a decorative one from temptations that is blue. I just remembered I have a couple copper ones packed away somewhere. I need to look for those.
    Mary

• Sue_va
    9 years ago

nitt_hou, enjoyed seeing all your tea pots. I wish you would come back more often, your posts are always so interesting. I still remember the first one I saw here...you had seen someone "tasting the spaghetti sauce" at the grocery store. chisue, you are right; mine is a chocolate set. When I first googled tea pots, mine came up. After you mentioned chocolate sets, I googled that and scads of them showed up. I noticed that there were different sizes of small cups among them, and also why they had small cups.. cherryfizz, I wish I had kept the little tea sets I had when I was small. Is HK still around? Maybe you could get him to go under the eaves and rescue yours? Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Sue

• Cherryfizz
    9 years ago

HK haha, no Sue I haven't seen him. He moved out West for work. He sure was fun to have around and pretty handy too. I enjoyed your stories on the other tea thread. I still have a copy of your geranium poem.

Anne

• Sue_va
    9 years ago

Anne, glad you liked my story and all the others; thanks. You still have the geranium poem? I'm impressed. I guess I still have it here somewhere. I remember it was something about red geraniums on my window sill, I think. My New Year's resolution was to print out all the things I wrote over the years, and make scrapbooks or something for my DD and DS. I have actually started doing it! So HK went West to seek his fortune? His loss, but I hope he found it. Those were the good old days, weren't they?

Sue

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    9 years ago

Susanjf, thanks for the info on the cat. He is the one that started it all for me, so I guess that is good luck.

Cherryfizz, I have been drinking Tetley lately and is does taste off. I was thinking it was because I've had it for awhile. I used to drink Red Rose all the time when I lived in San Francisco. Was that the one that came with a little animal in each box?

• ntt_hou
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. Seeing all the teapots makes me want to have a bigger home so I could grow my collection. With the home size that I have now, (IMHO, still big), I no longer have room for addition. I practically have these Yixing teapot & sets all over the kitchen & living room. The collection had since stopped. It's silly to collect more than I can display them. Unless, I see one that I can't sleep without it :)

rhizo_1, you need to show your collection too! I'd love to see what you got.

Sue_Va, LOL, I got too many hobbies. That results in joining more forums than I can handle. Most of the forums I join is for learning purpose. KT for me is entertainment. Unfortunately, I don't often have much time to visit. I do enjoy when I'm here though. Thanks.

• lisa_fla
    9 years ago

I haven't used this one in ages. I am going to use it again one day soon in honor of this thread. I think that will be my 'reward' when I clean above the cabinets!

• lisa_fla
    9 years ago

Does anyone drink Red Rose tea?? Each box comes with a collectible figurine, My daughter started collecting the calendar ones (one representing each month of the year)-wow-Renee-FL and I had to drink a lot of tea to get all of themMy daughter started drinking tea too. It took us FOREVER to get the September scarecrow!! Red Rose moved onto another collection and we were buying up the old boxes-it became an obsession! Anyway, they are in the back town in the picture. The front row is the nautical collection she is working on. Only need 4 more! Looking around her room last night, I realized she has the entire pet collection. Gee maybe she should work backwards into older collections. They are inexpensive at flea markets and garage sales.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

Love this thread! My late MIL had a small teapot collection--I was very happy once to find a blue Cameo ware pot to add to it. My FIL still has the teapot collection, but it was like this one:

Here are mine--the Granny Ann was my grandmother's, then my aunt's. It's Shawnee pottery from Zanesville, Oh. I now use it to hold a ball of waxed string, then end of which you can see in the spout.

The green one was also my aunt's. It's Hall, from East Liverpool. She kept her teabags and sugar substitute packets in it. I don't use either one for brewing tea--I have a whistling (actually more like screaming) kettle for one cup at a time.

lisa_fla, somewhere I have a little blue elephant that came with Redrose tea bags. :)

• socks
    9 years ago

Lisa, I think my grandmother had that pattern on dishes or something. It looks sooo familiar to me.

Never heard of Red Rose tea. Where do you get it? They still give the figurines, even now? So interesting.

• bee0hio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a great idea to store teabags or sugar/sweetener packets in a teapot..
    In fact I think I am going to put sugar in my strawberry teapot. When I wanted to use it the other day, I found the spout opening is small & splatters, messy.

The little figurines are so cute! A novel idea to put them in a box of tea. I have that same green chicken/nest, Lisa, beside your teapot.

I've greatly enjoyed seeing all the teapots as well as the discussion!

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

I love all the teapots!

Cookie jars sound good too!

• lisa_fla
    9 years ago

Socks-
    I buy Red Rose at Publix. I know Target doesn't sell it. I don't think Walmart does either. The teapot you mentioned is part of a huge line of dishes, etc. I have some large bowls as well. I'm thinking its called Jewel Tea or Autumn Leaf.

Bee-my nesting chicken is blue. Don't know where I got it from . Probably my Mom.

• Cherryfizz
    9 years ago

We haven't had figurines in our Red Rose tea boxes for years. I think the last ones were little tea pots. At one time when I was a child they had bird cards to collect and I still have a couple of albums of them.

• lisa_fla
    9 years ago

The smaller boxes have cards instead of figurines. The 100 ct have the figurines. See the bottom right corner of the box.

• Jodi_SoCal
    9 years ago

I love anything Japanese so my favorite tea pot is a cast iron one from Japan.

• katlan
    9 years ago

I have 4 teapots that are special to me. A black one with gold trim that my grandparents used everyday, at every meal. I have a green one with gold trim that we used at my parent's house when my grandparents visited. I have a pretty white one with red roses on it that sits on a ceramic stand with a small tealight votive inside to keep the tea warm. My dad bought it for me for my last Christmas living at home (1980) before I got married.

The last one is a single serve teapot, the base is your teacup. It has a matching sugar bowl and spoon. My mom brought it back from Ireland for me in 1997. She died a year later, and I was so very glad that she got her dream trip to Ireland. Here's my Irish teapot......