SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

The makeover guy

debrak2008
9 years ago

Just started reading the book "Staging your comeback" by Christopher Hopkins, the Makeover Guy.

A friend of mine is fascinated by the book. She has been following the suggestions with clothing and is amazed that she looks better following the suggestions in the book which is contrary to how she has been dressing all her life.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had a makeover by him or someone else or read this makeover book or another?

Comments (41)

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got mine from the library! I will copy any pages I think are important. One thing that was amazing is people who looked pretty bad to begin with but they thought they looked good!

• Related Discussions

Threading

Q

Comments (30)
    I see, Homemaker. I actually am struggling with makeup and such because I need glasses these days. I was lucky to have my eyes for so long and am totally not used to this. Reading glasses weren't so bad, but now the long distance. Frustrating. Especially since I often forget to have the darned glasses on me, lol. It's a real pain not to be able to see or see what you're doing! And I thrive on all things visual. As far as I know, I don't have facial hair! Maybe I should check that out closer, lol. Don't think my Mom does, so I'm hoping I can escape that one. What a dreadful thought : / It's certainly a very interesting technique and kind of fun to watch. Wonder how anyone ever came up with that. And such amazing skill!
    ...See More

you guys are just dangerous!!!...lol

Q

Comments (10)
    no, I'm not interested in the classes, either. I just want to see what's available for the bits and pieces of glass, so I can piece together a GOG.... I have a number of windows that I've been guarding for a greenhouse and I think the time has come that I can safely say that it isn't going to happen. but the plants that I have, have wintered over for the past number of years, without croaking, so I guess I don't need the greenhouse as much as I need to mosaic..lol I have mostly hearty plants..hosta, geraniums, tree babies, grasses, lung wort, daylilies and others that don't seem to need protection. the windows are from sales and they just look like they want attention..lol I have glass cutters and have watched a number of the 'crafters coast to coast' and others on HGTV, so it's not completely foreign to me. and seeing all that's been posted here...I just gotta do it! I finally made a work area in the front room this weekend. I'd been putting it off and going bonkers, wanting to work on a vase. oh, and by the way...I got lots of circuit boards and old dead hard drives from a computer store and after all of that...I decided it would look just too junkie/techie for my liking. so now I have all the junk and don't want to glue it all on the monitor after all...lol I could decoupage it with crazy fabrics....that's much softer and less prickly...those danged boards kept sticking me, while I loaded them in the car! or really, I think I'll get a flat screen monitor and just give the boat anchor to someone else...I got it on freecycle, so it could go back there.. anyway...now that the little table is set up, I will be able to stack some milk crates up, to hold a lot of what is in boxes.... I've been working on a vase today and have it almost half cemented...it's a curved design, like the frying pan...no moss though..lol gotta get the momentum up for the vases... thanks for the encouragement..it makes my days much brighter. Becky .(*_*).
    ...See More

popping in from makeovers to say hello & give updates

Q

Comments (5)
    ogoopogo - thanks for the tip on getting the gunk out of the carpet. I'll give it a try since if I can't get it out, I won't use it in there. Sigh. Red - the fireplace makeover made such a big difference! I sort of designed it on the fly, brought home a bunch of moldings and medallions and then had the poor carpenter guy try a bunch of different things. I'll post some pics of the fireplace for you. As for the dark boards on the floor, I just don't know. This bamboo is so hard that it breaks nails if you don't use the right ones with the right tools and I know they are already nailed together. I think to remove them would mean we would ruin a bunch of boards and then we might not have enough to do the rest of the house. But I'm going to ask. And I just looked at my list of what all we have done and I forgot we also had a stairway makeover (had no railing before) and 6 weeks of electrical work which also included moving/combing a bunch of switches which lead, of course, to a bunch of sheetrock work before the painting. Here's the versions of the fireplace. Before. The textured sheetrock surround gave this a contemporary look that just didn't work for me, especially since this room is going to be the new dining room with a bunch of our antique furniture. I tried painting it a couple of colors, including this green a couple down on the same paint strip, but still the design was contemporary. So this is what we came up with and I'm very happy.
    ...See More

Ideas for fireplace makeover ?

Q

Comments (2)
    I would sure like to know what is under all that paint and stuff. Could be some nice brick? If not then my thought is something right to the ceiling but no mantel.
    ...See More
  • Jamie
    9 years ago

His study of horizontal body proportions is unique, I believe, and in my case, really helpful.

I did contact the salon about getting a makeover styling, but so many years passed before I had to go to Minneapolis for other reasons that I got even older and lost interest. The online analysis wasn't worth it to me.

(edited for typos)

{{gwi:1491575}}

This post was edited by jamies on Sun, Feb 1, 15 at 20:59

• ellendi
    9 years ago

This sounds interesting. I think I'll see if I can get it at my library. Thanks.

This post was edited by ellendi on Mon, Feb 2, 15 at 17:55

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

I'd never heard of him but, oh my goodness...how talented is he! Enjoying the videos on Pinterest immensely; thanks for sharing.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

Talking about a guy that really knows his stuff, WOW!!! Love him and he is just soooo darn nice. Would love to get a makeover from him. Maybe someday!!!

• User
    9 years ago

I watched some of his short youtube makeovers and although they are not all great, capital G, they are all an improvement. He does make grey hair look fabulous!

What I don't understand, though, is why so many hairdressers recommend a dark burgundy red hair color. They always refer to it as a rich color, which makes me wonder if they are just drawn to it because they are sick of blonde, brown and black.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Speaking of makeovers, is anyone watching the new Stacy London show? Love Lust or Run. (Stupid name.) No Clinton...30 min instead of an hour and she's doing "make-unders"...taking women who are really wild and toning them down. It looks like these ladies ask for this as opposed to the old show where people were surprised. And she gets them to go barefaced, which really seems to change their personalities when they take off the characters they are used to being.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I looked on Amazon as I've never heard of him. The book looks interesting enough to purchase. I have two books in my cart now so will probably add this when I am ready to purchase.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Can they do a makeover of Stacy's picture? She looks like a cross between Angelica Houston and Yvonne DeCarlo as Lily Munster, and not in a good way. She's much prettier than that.

• User
    9 years ago

Lily Munster, THAT'S who Stacy looks like! i couldnt quite place her, thank you bpathome!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Exactly! Lily Munster! I passed by a TV today while waiting for a coffee and saw her on 'The View', and couldn't place who the heck it was. They finally put her name up and I was shocked to see it was Stacy/Lily.

I read reviews on Barnes & Noble last night just briefly. It seems the book is several years old. I'm not going to pay BN's prices for it but am curious what it might say. Not that I'm really in the market for a makeover but I'll be interested in seeing what he says.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I see my local library has the book, so I'll be sure to check it out...it is several years old though...2007?

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The book I have is from 2007 but it seems pretty timeless. Most/all of what he says would apply in any year. I was going to post some tips from the book but there are so many!

Next I need to take my measurements for his analysis on body shape.

One of the issues I have is I don't give my self enough time in the morning to do my hair and makeup. My hair especially gets neglected. I really need to find the time. So any great haircut or color never lives up to its full potential because I won't take the time.

• cran
    9 years ago

I too, went online to see this book and eventually ordered the Makeup Wake Up by Lois Johnson. It's a newer book and looked good to me. I like that it actually recommends brands of makeup . Talks about not trying to look younger (lost cause here) but looking your best. I saw one UTube video and got some good information.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Debrak,
    Sometimes I think "why can't my hair look like her?", forgetting that maybe she didn't just wake up, finger comb it, and leave the house like I want to do. Maybe she has the time and skill, along with a different hair type, perfect cut, and correct styling products to achieve her effortless hair that I admire.

Although it's been on my head for many years, I still can't totally master the quirks of my hair. I watched in amazement as my bff's 8 yo blew dry and styled her own hair. The kid (now 19) has a naturally talent I don't have and never will.

I wish makeovers would show how the person handled the changes a week or a month later. My stylist can make my hair look fab-u-lous but I can never exactly duplicate the look. What Not To Wear did that a bit, with the client doing a big reveal for the family. But what about the day in, day out stuff. How are they handling it completely on their own. Was the dyed red, pixie cut (seemingly high maintenance to me) the right choice or is the frequent need for trims and touch ups not practical long term? Do they continue to do the full face makeup?

The Inside Out style blog has descriptions of body types (more than the usual apple or pear thing) and how to dress for the type.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A local salon has in the past offered a blow dry class. For $20 you come in with your stuff, brushes, products, dryer, etc. and they teach you to style your hair. You actually have to do it yourself, they just help. At the end of the night you get $20 toward products. They tell you if you are using the right brushes, products etc. I can't wait till they have another one so I can go. If not soon enough, I'm seriously thinking of asking if I can just have that "class" during my appointment time. I can watch her a hundred times, but will only learn by doing.

I too would like to see 1 year after photos of these people!

My stylist told me the biggest mistake people make in doing their hair is not putting it in sections. They take a brush and dryer and try to do it all at once. She suggests buying a cheap bag of clips and sectioning your hair and drying/styling only one area at a time. It will take more time.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I have not heard of him, but I am going to look up the videos. I enjoyed that book "How not to Look Old".

Debrak - if you have a good haircut, that works with your type hair, it should be easy for you to style your hair. Then again, I am one of those people that apparently can style hair. My stylist says I am a good "commercial" for her. LOL I do have naturally wavy, thick hair and mostly style with my hands while drying it. But with my cut, it pretty much will fall into place. I do use a brush to bull my (long) bangs out a bit. I have always been interested in fashion/hair/make-up and learned long ago what colors looked best on me. It's a little harder (ha!), learning what styles, etc. look best on you. I think once you get all that figured out, it's fairly easy to look your best.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I lost a whole day yesterday watching his videos. He is so stinkin' cute and talented to boot.

I do a great job blow drying my hair, actually better than my stylist because she is usually in a hurry. However I have very curly hair and blow dry it straight. I am so tired of spending 35 to 40 minutes every morning getting it smooth looking. When I retire I am going to give in to the curls but will need to totally learn new techniques. I need to either go to a Curly Girls salon or have CH do a hair makeover.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My issue is I think of anytime spent in the bathroom on hair or makeup as wasted time. I would rather do something else! I don't enjoy buying or trying on clothes either. I did spend the money on a good cut and color but I end up with about 2 min to do my hair so I end up putting it up wet in a clip. I just need to get out of bed earlier.

One of the makeovers in the book is someone with curly hair and he suggests not fighting it. "Fighting her curl was dragging her down" He suggests if you see someone with curly hair and a good cut, ask her where she goes. He agrees it is very hard to find someone who cuts curly hair well. It should not be cut with tension.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Debrak...I'm like you. I just don't have the patience or desire to spend the time trying to blow dry and style my hair...maybe because I'm not very good at it. I also have two cowlicks in the back that i can never cover. I remember in high school spending 45 min teasing and combing out my hair with all kinds of mirrors to make sure it was perfect from all sides..lol. Up until a year or two ago I never left the house without makeup. Then it dawned on me I work in an office with all women, many who don't wear makeup, and I decided to give my face a rest now and then. I will do my hair and wear makeup of course for appointments, going out to eat, etc.....but may not bother now for a quick trip to the grocery, etc.

It would be fun though to take a class to learn how to blow dry so they can show me what I'm doing wrong.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Debra, don't think of it that way. I don't consider myself vain (although I guess I am to an extent LOL!), but I am one to "put my best foot forward" so to speak. I don't wear alot of make-up, but I wear enough to accentuate my best features. Once you get used to it, you can do it pretty quick. I agree with what he said about not fighting curly hair. Mine is wavy, not curly, so I realize it may be easier to make it do something as opposed to someone with fine, stick straight hair! But, it is true about some people being better able to cut curly hair. Mine needs to be layered and texturized a bit. My hair looks awful straight!

Regarding clothes, I like nice clothes and actually was voted "best dressed female" at work by a group of students! LOL!! But I do NOT like shopping for or trying on said clothes! I have a few certain shops I go to (never a mall), and order many things on line!!

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just washed my hair and spent about 20 min, sectioning and blow drying. I didn't even finish it as I'm not going anyway tonight but it does look much better. Wondering if I might do better if I wash it at night when I have more time to blow dry it? Maybe in the morning it won't take to long to fix? I don't have oily hair so it may work. We will see. Tomorrow morning I'm going to work on eye liner. I usually skip this or do it sparingly in about 10 seconds. Baby steps.

tinam61, that is great you were voted best dressed! I always wear powder foundation base and mascara but usually nothing else. Would love a makeup makeover but any I have had use way to much make up on me. I'm going to try to follow the suggestions in the book, one at a time.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Carmindy of WNTW has a video on how to do a 5 min make-up...she does her own face...

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 min face

• bpath
    9 years ago

I picked up this book yesterday at the library. I have stick-straight hair, and that is as hard to cut and manage as curly! I have found two stylists in my life who are good with it; my current stylist gave me a blow-drying lesson so I can do it at home, but of course old habits are hard to break :). So I've come to terms with doing my hair and makeup (pretty simple regimen)

I'm glad that a cadre of fabulous late-50s women in my community are also going natural with their hair color. One less thing to keep up with!

But I really, really don't like shopping for clothes. I have a short torso so the waists of clothes always hit at my hips, not a good look. Petites in dresses and jackets fit well, but the selection in petites is limited, so I usually do slacks and a sweater instead of a jacket.

I like the exercises in the first chapter, though of course we've had those in magazines and books for years, so nothing new there. I like his attitude, though. Looking forward to his "next steps".

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

If you want to see him back in 1999, watch this clip on Makeovers he did on the Oprah Show. He looks VERY young, in this video published 12/01/14.

"My second appearance on Oprah, a live performance with Joan Rivers who had written a book called "Don't Count The Candles, Just Keep The Fire Lit." 1999."

Here is a link that might be useful: Christopher Hopkins,

• hhireno
    9 years ago

The 5 minute face reminds me of a magazine interview with Rachel Ray. She said people excitedly tell her that with practice they have one of her 30-minute meals down to 45 minutes.

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, i wondered if they thought people would not realize the five minute face actually took ten minutes :-)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I never minded the time I spent on hair and make up as I want to look my best at whatever age. I don't want the fact that I am aging to be an excuse to get lazy with my grooming but when I retire I no longer need to look as business -like and I want to not spend a huge block of time each morning for the straightening ritual. I am rather looking forward to being a curly girl!

My3, that was one of the clips that I watched. Goodness he looked barely past puberty there. I loved those makeovers. The difference was amazing.

• Happyladi
    9 years ago

I just ordered it from my library. I haven seen Stacey's new show but I set my DVR to record it. I liked her previous show a lot.

• debrak2008
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had to report back that this morning I plugged in the curling iron while I put on makeup. I just had to do 2 quick curls and my hair looked decent. I went to work and a coworker really thought I had my hair colored or cut or something. She said it looked so good. I told her of my night time blow dry and she says she does the same thing.

I started doing the measurements but need help for DH.

He started doing makeovers like in highschool or even earlier.

kswl, I was watching that too but the actual make up application was 5 minutes. One thing that doesn't get considered is you have to wash your face, then maybe use toner, moisturizer, primer, etc. then get out your makeup. All that takes extra time.

My eyeliner thing didn't work too good. I can't do liner under my upper lashes as my eyes go crazy blinking and I can't see well enough not to stab myself in the eye. I do think I need a new liner, maybe try liquid.

I'm thinking of going to Macy's and try a bunch of mascaras and liners on Friday. Everytime I find a mascara I like, it seems the formula changes and it doesn't work as well. Maybe my imagination.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

I checked the book out yesterday from the library and have really enjoyed it. I can't say I learned anything new but I love C's philosophy on aging and how he really seems to "get" women. I agree that most, if not all, of his tips are timeless.

FWIW, for eyeliner, I've begun using it the past few years having always felt it didn't work for me when I was younger. I had the same problem you describe but discovered that applying Too Faced (very pigmented) charcoal shadow with a fine angled brush work well for me for both on top of and underneath upper eyelid.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

DebraK, try Lancome Hypnose. I have been using it for a long time and it never fails to give me great lashes.

Funnygirl, I have tried doing that with a pigmented Lancome product and it looks lovely but it never fails to ruin my face makeup as little bits of it fall on my face. When I try to remove it , it smears. Do you have a trick to alleviate that problem?

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I borrowed it from the library and skimmed it. I also watched a few videos.

I would have liked more pictures of the women in different outfits and less, or actually none, of him doing goofy things at the end of each chapter. I'd like to see more examples of clothing for each body type. Wouldn't most people reading the book be visual learners, so additional visual images would help really make the point of what works or why things don't work.

I like that he accepts the choices and works with women who don't want to color their hair (a few models were fully gray with pretty, healthy looking hair). That's not me (!) but I think it's important that a stylist respect that choice.

I think they all looked great but looked very 'made-up'. Is that the everyday look or a bit of glamour for the book? It seems intensive for an everyday look. I thought it odd that the lipstick outline on their bottom lip was so obvious on all of them. I thought that was suppose to be invisible.

I'm glad the topic came up, thanks for posting it.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

H/K, I haven't experienced the bits falling on my face, so no tips there. The only issue I have is a little of the shadow transfers to my lower lid but it sort of looks like lower eyeliner so doesn't bother me too much. If it does bother me I just give it a quick swipe. It's not a perfect solution but the best I've found so far. I hope someone will share if they find another eyeliner which works well for the waterlines.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh, Holly-Kay! Go with your curls now you lucky woman. I would love to have curls. My hair is bone-straight, fine, and thin. Hate it!

I am going to look for the book. Sort of hopeless for me, though, since I hate to shop for clothes, don't have time in the morning for make-up (special ed teacher working with explosive kids, so wouldn't bother anyway), and need to get back in shape (Spring, maybe?). Sigh. As mentioned in the other thread, hypothyroidism may be causing even thinner hair and definitely affects energy (just started on meds last month, but not seeing a lot of change even though levels are now within normal range, but just barely). I did watch some YouTube videos. Liked most of the makeovers. We should all meet up in Minneapolis and have him redo us! ;)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Cyn, wouldn't that be a blast? Minneapolis would never be the same!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

For those asking for eyeliner recs;

I had been using Nars Larger Than Life eyeliners. It has great staying power, on upper and lower lids, though some (most?) colors do need more than one pass to get a fully covering, even line. One color in particular, rue de (sp?), has always been a PITA to apply. It's much waxier than the other colors I have. Also, it's a "redder" brown than I like (I prefer a really dark neutral or even greyish brown).

I started doing some tightlining and/or waterlining when doing my makeup recently, and I dont love the Nars LTL liners for that (on my inner lids, it tends to ball up, and doesn't lend itself to darkening or filling-in missed, or not quite filled-in spots either). So, I "researched" liners that were good for those techniques (last time I lined my lower waterline, my friends and I were using "Maybelline New York Expert Wear Twin Brow & Eye Pencils After heating the tip with a match--stayed on without budging all day and all night!)

I recently purchased a few of the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide in pencil liners. They are very creamy, and most of the colors that I tested in Sephora seem to glide on quickly and smoothly. As with any brands, I think some colors have more staying power (and also don't smudge as readily once "set"). I got the Black Magic two ended pencils kit, so I could try out some different blacks; Perversion is my favorite black, though it does need frequent sharpening, because it's very creamy, and the point seems to wear down somewhat quickly IMO. The kit also came with Zero, and Black Velvet. One I can take or leave, the other is ok, but not great (can't remember which is which). The dark brown from the kit, like the blacks, is available as an individual, full-sized pencil. It's called Demolition, and I really like it. Much better than the Nars brown I mentioned above, though summer heat and humidity will be the real test. I know Nars LTL liners do well under those conditions on the lids.

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

Stacy London also has a book called The Truth About Style where she give head to toe makeovers. Most of the women were middle age-ish and ALL of them looked much better afterwards. The book was available in my local library.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If you are interested in dressing for your body type, Stacy & Clinton wrote a book called "Dress Your Best" which fundamentally includes all the rules and suggestions they used on WNTW using real people as examples with outfits for different occasions.

• MAKEOVERGUY
    4 years ago

What a fun discussion!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!