SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Why they don't cook, Pt One

jakkom
9 years ago

I live in across the Bay from San Francisco CA. We've seen a huge gentrification in our area, mostly because SF is busting out of its seams (it's only 7 miles square; you can technically walk across the city/county in a few hours), which forces businesses and wannabe homeowners to look elsewhere.

I ran across this in one of my food newsletters. Sprig is one yr old, a meal delivery service that serves SF and is beginning to expand southwards. They pick up meals from restaurants and deliver anywhere in SF.

This is a business designed by Millennials, for Millennials. It is app-only, meaning their website is only there for downloading the menu/order app to your Android or iPhone.

What's brilliant is that they regularly have name chef "pop-ups" creating meals. They had owner/chef Stuart Brioza of State Bird Provisions, currently considered by local foodies as the best restaurant of the 4,000+ City's restaurants (unless you're talking about the rarefied upper-end of Saison/Coi/Quince/Benu/Atelier Crenn, which are way out of Sprig's $10/meal limit!).

Brioza sold out his one-day allotment in a record 11 minutes flat. Reservations at State Bird are notoriously hard to obtain; they rank with French Laundry in difficulty. Tables even at unpopular times/days disappear within seconds of being listed on OpenTable.

Sprig has had other well regarded chefs, including Bar Tartine (one of SF's best artisanal bakeries), Central Kitchen, and Ichi Sushi. It's a smart concept, well-executed, and like its competitors, shows where the industry is going.

It is NOT for everyone...they don't wish to be, and know it's a business model that doesn't scale upwards easily. It is designed to skim the most profitable segment - high-salaried, busy, urban professionals - and does it very well.

A link to the menu that Central Kitchen produced for their "pop-up" is attached. Short, simple, sophisticated - if we still lived in the City, I'd use their service myself. I'm a Boomer and I hate apps, but I hate city parking even more, LOL:

Here is a link that might be useful: Central Kitchen's

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor