SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twinkle837

How to Choose Grout OR, Kill Me Now!

Twinkle837
9 years ago

Hi all! I have spent the better part of this week in a meltdown over grout. You see, grout was the one thing I thought I had all chosen and put to bed. The decision that was done and nothing to worry about! I'm an artist in real life, how hard could it be, right?

OMG!! The perfect color turned out to be a nightmare color and thankfully my contractor only did a little to let me decide whether or not to move forward. Needless to say, everything is on hold and I have literally bought 8 bags of grout trying to figure out the right one and I'm still not thrilled with anything.

The first grout (the one that we stopped) was Custom's Light Smoke. The sample held up to my tile looked fantastic and disappeared which is exactly what I wanted. Well, when it was mixed up and put on in a bigger area, I could tell almost immediately it was probably going to be an issue because there was too much warmth in it and the tone was off (a little red actually). Looked awful and you could see it a mile away -- it actually doesn't look as bad in the photo I am attaching as it does in real life. It also dried very light and when it dried, it was definitely better but it's a no go at this point. Next I tried Tec's Light Smoke because it had a slight grey to it on the sample. It was very close to the Custom one so I should have known better. Yeah, no go. Same issue if not even worse. Since then I've moved onto Tec's Mocha out of desperation (awful and again, what is with the red in all of these grout browns?). You can see from the list below I have tried quite a few...

I would love your opinions or suggestions and if anyone can answer my questions I would be very appreciative.

I tried Mapei's Saraha Beige today and while it's a far better color for the tile, it's too dark -- I had my heart set on the grout just disappearing and I HATE HATE dark grout. I want to see the grout as little as possible. If this was just a little lighter it could have worked but as is, I think it's just too dark.

Which leads me to the dwindling options and some jerry-rigging, possibly?

Today I also tried a color by Custom called Oyster grey. When I mixed it up, I could tell from the start the tone/color was great for the tile but I also knew from all of my experience this week, it was going to get a heck of a lot lighter and oh yeah, it sure did. Way too light to use as is. Wet? Fantastic. Dry, not so much.

So, what say you Gardenweb? What if I used the Oyster grey and also used an enhancer/sealer with it like Enrich & Seal? Could that work? Would it last? What would be the chances of the sealer not working? My contractors are good so they know what they are doing. Does that count?

With all of that said, any other suggestions? I literally have to make a decision by the beginning of the week because I just can't put this off any longer than I already have. Thank you so much in advance everyone! And from reading so many topics about grout and grout issues, I certainly feel your pain!!

These are some of the colors I've gone through...

{{gwi:2133892}}

Sahara Beige
{{gwi:2133893}}

Oyster Grey
{{gwi:2133894}}

This post was edited by Twinkle837 on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 23:59

Comments (12)