SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcp123_gw

Vermicomposting Worms as Pests?

dcp123
9 years ago

OK, I'm a little afraid of posting something bad about compost worms in a forum full of people who are big fans of vermicomposting, but please be tollerant.

I have little red wrigglers eating my cabbage plants (growing plants, not waste I've thrown in the bins) and I'm curious if anybody else has had a similar problem.

Yes, I'm sure they are not insects, but are red annelid earthworms. Are they Eisenia foetida? That I can't vouch for.

Here's the situation. I have three large compost bins and for about the last year I've had thousands and thousands of red earthworms working in there breaking up my compost. Cool. I didn't make any effort to switch to vermicompost, but I was happy to see them and have tried to make it easy for them to move to new material as I add it. Wikipedia tells me that Eisenia foetida are are native to Europe, but also says that they are sometimes called "red californian earth worms" so I gather they have gone native here and they probably came to my bins with some leaves or other material I added to the bins that had already started to decay.

So, I mixed a bunch of my compost (worms and all) in with some of my vegetable beds, planted a bunch of winter crops and now I have little red earthworms, between the leaves of my cabbage, eating it. The worst damage is at the base of the leaves near the ground in the cabbage, so whole leaves are being cut off at the base. This doesn't seem to be a good thing to me.

Fortunately, my other winter cole/brassica crops (kale, collards, Brussels sprouts, and even turnips) all seem immune to the red worm damage, presumably because they all keep their leaves up off the ground.

Now, I cant say with 100% certainty that the cabbage didn't have some other problem first (like slugs) and that the red worms didn't just move up into the plant to eat dead tissue, but there is no sign of other pests and some of the worms are eating in areas of apparently healthy cabbage, so I think they're the problem.

I gather real vermicomposters separate the worms from the castings and that might prevent this problem, but I'm using big bins to dispose of a LOT of organic material and I honestly don't have the time for all of the efforts that seems to involve.

So, I'm hoping somebody out there will have had some similar experience and perhaps some advice on how to keep the little red wrigglers from eating my cabbage.

One other thing. It's been very rainy here lately and I think the worms have started doing this recently. Maybe they wouldn't be up in the plant if it were drier out.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor