SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esemelita

Crowded two feet tall tomatoes in a 4" pot. How to transplant?

esemelita
9 years ago

Hi I have been looking all over for questions like mine, but thing is, nobody has really made as big mistakes as I have.
I've never done gardening in my life other than buying those little one dollar kits that come with the soil, seeds and miniature pot.
That's what this is, except instead of the usual outcome (a dead flower or fruit/veggie seedling two inches tall), I've now got a two feet tall tomatoes plant and I am at a loss.
I planted a few seeds in the summer in the tiny pot provided and when they started growing, I transplanted them into a small 4 inch plastic pot and left them a few wooden skewers to hold on to about three or four months ago.
I don't think this is healthy for them, and id like to transplant them to a larger pot (25 cm preferably) if possible because I have a pet bunny who loves the smell of them and will devour them first chance I give him.
I live in Phoenix, Arizona and figured now might be the time to transplant them so they won't be too hot.
I also have no idea what variety they are and they have not started blooming or bearing fruit.

So that's the back story. Here's my questions

How do I transplant my tomatoes safely and spread them out without destroying their tangled roots?
When is a good time to transplant them? Now in the winter (it won't go any lower than 45 since this is a desert with plenty of sun even in winter) or wait till the spring even though they are crowded in a tiny 4 inch pot?
Where is a good place to keep them? On the kitchen window sill as they have been all this time or move them outside?
Should I make a trellis or just stick with the tall pieces of wood?

Thank you so much in advance I know this is a lot I'm asking but i would like these tomatoes to survive and live happily.

Comments (12)