SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinkokapi

Growing Passion Fruit from Seeds: An Experiment (P. edulis)

PinkOkapi
9 years ago

Hi all. This is my first post on this forum, but I have been a reader for some time now.

I was originally attracted to this forum looking for information about growing passion fruit (Passiflora edulis) from seeds. While searching through here and on other resources online there seemed to be a lot of conflicting reports and antidotes about what techniques work best for germinating passion fruit seeds. Some seemed adamant that you need to soak, others not, some said you should just do it as nature does, etc.

Being a scientist I felt this called for an experiment to test the various approaches people discussed and suggested, so I conducted one and would like to share the results here in case anyone else would happen to be interested as I was.

I decided on a five group block design and created the following treatment groups to test the affect of planting technique on the germination rate and time to sprout:
1. Natural - seeds straight from fruit to dirt
2. Natural dried - seeds straight from fruit but with juice removed
3. Cleaned seeds - all pulp removed
4. Cleaned and soaked seeds - same as 3 but soaked in warm water for 24 hours
5. Cleaned seeds small batch - a control to see if the number of seeds in the planter had an effect

I carried out the experiment indoors with an average room temperature of 70-85F (only 75+ when in the sun) and soil temperatures around 70-75F. The seeds were placed in seed starting potting soil and put in the sun during daylight hours. Seeds were planted almost immediately from being removed from the fruit, within 1-2 hours with the exception of the soaking group naturally.

Of the techniques using the natural technique (#1) was the least productive by a large margin with the slowest time to first sprout and only a 5% germination rate to date. Method #2 has been the second least successful, but it might just be a slower method; germination rate 53% at 26 days. The cleaned seeds and soaked seeds have performed the best and are statistically equivalent in their performance. They were the fastest technique germinating in 11 and 13 days both with an approximate 80% germination rate at 26 days.

I hope this helps any of you out there who might have had similar questions as I had.

You can see a complete video of my experiment and the results here in a video I made of the process.
http://youtu.be/8UCen3Aro_E

Here is a link that might be useful: Video of Experiment

Comments (18)