SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ultravista

Growing Tomatoes in Las Vegas

ultravista
9 years ago

I am seeking advice for growing tomatoes in Las Vegas.

I�ve been in 89123 (Silverado Ranch) for 11 years, growing all sorts of veggies since. My forte is peppers - they grow and produce well.

What is not working is tomatoes � great growth, no fruit. I typically by young plants from Star Nursery as they put them out, trying as many varieties (Heatwave, Hawaiian) as possible to improve the odds of getting fruit. Not working.

The tomatoes, as well as the other plants (peppers, collards, misc. greens, etc.), are in raised beds with composted mulch. The beds are full of worms and appears to be healthy. The garden area receives full sun most of the day. The back wall faces South so I get it all East, West, and South, all day. The garden bed is surrounded by grass, a good microclimate. The beds are irrigated twice a day. Moisture is not a problem, nor is wilting. The garden bed receives no shade whatsoever.

Every year, the tomatoes grow well but fail to set fruit. Of the 30 tomato plants in the ground last year, I picked four tomatoes � yes four.

Looking for recommendations for a good variety that grows and sets in our heat, the date to have the tomatoes in the ground, and anything else you can think of to help the fruit set. It is driving me crazy. I really want tomatoes before I forego planting them all together.

Another issue is cucumbers. The young plans are susceptible to damage by the Armadillidiidae (roly poly), despite trying numerous methods, I can�t seem to keep young cucumber plants alive (bought or from seed) for more than a few days. The bugs chew on the succulent stems - they drop and die.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting