SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bill_southerncal

Re-post: Las Vegas Garden assignment

bill_southerncal
17 years ago

Hi Nevada gardeners:

(I posted early Sunday, and according to the mods they probably disappeared. So my apologies if it comes back.)

Basically, my elderly parents are moving from the SF East Bay to North Las Vegas. I've been given the task of putting fruit trees, vegetables, lemon tree, and gardenias in their new, already-landscaped garden. In addition, my mom wants to keep growing her cymbidium orchids, even if I have to build a greenhouse. I have done some reading on the Southwest Gardening boards, Nursery websites, UNLV, and other gardening websites and boards.

But I'm hoping those who live in the high desert in Nevada can share any experiences - good and bad, opinions, shortcuts, etc. I'm especially interested in the varieties of the above plants you're growing. According to what I've read, only short season tomatoes should be planted (i.e. Early Girls, First Lady, and Champion). And, I'm wondering if the dwarf Meyer lemon tree needs to be put on wheels in case they need to be moved in winter.

I've been gardening for over 30 years, but I'm in coastal Southern California! I like challenges, but I'm a newbee with this area.

Thanks in advance,

Bill in Southern Cal

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio