SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tired_of_digging

I've ordered Adenium & Pachypodium seeds too early...

tired_of_digging
9 years ago

Sometimes it takes time to find the missing piece of information and when you find it, it means you must change your plans.
I read whatever came into hand through the WWW, and initially understood the seeds are harvested in the fall, and are sown in the spring.
My idea is to order the seeds earlier, as they come from another country, and give time for any sign of pests and diseases to be visible through the nylon bag before opening the envelope (sort-of quarantining the seeds. I also order the seeds from commercial growers, not private collectors, as the former have better phytosanitation facilities. Wild-collected seeds are excluded as well)

And suddenly, the missing piece of information just came within reach right after receiving the seeds: The seeds have to be sown immediately after harvest. As I searched for more information, and find out that: "seeds which have a very short limited shelf-life need humidity and proper aeration during storage". So, I took them out of the nylon bags, put them over moist towels embedded with hydrogen peroxide, and put them in the fridge - NOT THE FREEZER! This is said to extend the shelf life. I periodically open the lids to aerate the seeds and return them to the fridge.

Now it's beginning of February. Sowing season in my country is around end of April, beginning of May. And, I have no climate control - including heating. Current temperatures may drop down to 11C (51.8F) at night and just over 20C (68F) during the day.
The seeds seem viable for the time being: They have swelled and show no signs of rot.

So, can I afford to wait till March/April (seeds purchased in January), or shall I rush to the nearby store and get my heating kit?

Comment