SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

These Are The Seeds I've Started

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

For cool-season crops, all I've started so far is two types of broccoli: Premium Crop and Packman.

I do have onion plants ordered and scheduled to arrive in mid-Feb., and I'll probably pick up my seed potatoes this weekend so I can greensprout them.

Today I put the first round of tomato seeds in water to pre-soak for a few hours and then I'll wrap them in coffee filters and put them in zip-lock bags to pre-sprout. These seeds will be started on a germination mat (not necessary, but speeds up the process a little), under lights, in Jiffy Peat Pellets. Once they have two true leaves, I transplant them from the peat pellets to small plastic cups of Jiffy Mix. I start multiple seeds (usually 6-12) in one peat pellet and transplant them to their own cups as soon as the plants have two true leaves and are large enough to handle.

So, here's the tomato seeds I started today, with their approximate Days to Maturity (from the day they're set out in the ground or in their containers):

And, for those of you who are used to my very long and extensive lists of tomato varieties, just look how much I've cut back this year!

For Early Tomatoes:

Bush Early Girl (54)

Grape (55)

SunGold (57)

Tess's Land Race Currant (55-70)

New Big Dwarf (60-70)

Black Cherry (65)

Mountain Princess (68)

For Mid-Season Tomatoes:

Moreton (70)

Jet Star (72)

Super Sioux (70-75)

Sioux (70-80)

Porterhouse (74)

Momotaro (74)

Brandy Boy (75)

Neve's Azorean Red (75)

Viva Italia (75)

San Marzano Redorta (78)

Supersonic (79)

Chocolate Stripes (79)

For Late Season Tomatoes:

Box Car Willie (80)

Homestead 24 (80)

Primetime (84)

Arkansas Traveler (85)

Indian Stripe (85)

Nebraska Wedding (80-90)

Orange-Fleshed Purple Smudge (80-90)

Royal Hillbilly (80-90)

True Black Brandywine (80-90)

San Marzano (80)

For Sun-Dried (actually, oven-dehydrated) tomatoes to store for next winter, in addition to cherry, grape or currant types already listed above:

Sweet Million (65)

Ildi (68)

Golden Sweet Hybrid (60)

Dr. Carolyn (75)

Sweet Gold FT (60)

Jolly (70)

Juliet (60)

Rosalita (60)

Sun Sugar FT (62)

Depending on whether drought conditions improve or worsen, some of these will be planted into the ground and some will go into containers (5-gallon buckets, 4-5 gallon kitty litter buckers, 10-gallon grow bags, and 40-50 gallon planters). The worse the drought, the more I'll plant in containers. Growing in containers often results in lower yields, but does help keep irrigation costs more affordable.

I also have other tomato seeds ordered that haven't arrived yet, and I'll be planting them later.

As for peppers, I think I am going to keep it pretty simple this year. That decision is based on the likelihood that the drought will continue and the plants may be in containers instead of in the ground.

For Hot Peppers:

Fatali

Fish Pepper

Habanero

Jalapeno "Jaloro"

Jalapeno "Grande"

Jalapeno "Mucho Nacho"

For Sweet Peppers:

"Blushing Beauty"

"Mini Bell Mix"

I usually don't start my really late, late (fall) tomato seeds until April or May, and then set them out in mid-June to early July for fall tomato production. In this group, I'll grow the Livingston heirloom varieties, the Sun Master and Heat Wave types, and the longkeepers. If, by some horrible chance our drought hangs on and hangs on, and particularly if it deepens into Extreme Drought or Exceptional Drought, I probably won't do fall tomatoes because I won't be able to water enough to keep them going.

That's all that is going on here right now. It is sunny and very windy and almost all the ice that fell here is gone now, with only a few patches left on the north side of buildings or in very shady areas.

Dawn

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!