SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
senormano

"Juvenile" oxalis ID - Bermuda buttercup v Redwood Sorrel

SenorMano
9 years ago

I have (and am encouraging) Redwood Sorrel to spread under some redwood trees in our new yard.

But a rash of Bermuda Buttercup (Buttercup Oxalis) just appeared throughout the yard. The yellow flowers, of course, are a giveaway.

My question is this, is there a way to be sure that juvenile or small plants are the buttercups and not redwood sorrel? The desirable redwood sorrel is dark green and larger when mature, but I cannot find anything that tells what a juvenile redwood sorrel looks like. I don't want to go about ripping out new growth if it looks like Bermuda buttercup when it first sprouts.

Comments (3)

• lgteacher
    9 years ago

Buttercup oxalis tends to have a thicker stem, but you'd have to let it grow a little bit to tell. The recent rains have stimulated growth of buttercup oxalis that lay dormant during our dry weather. Good luck getting rid of it. It's an awful invasive weed.

• Central_Cali369
    9 years ago

I don't know how to identify them other than by the flowers, but getting rid of them will be a task. I have read that consistent cutting and pulling will eventually exhaust the bulbs and, over the course of several years, reduce or eliminate the presence of buttercup oxalis.

• SenorMano
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both for the help. I guess I will need to see whether they throw up the beginnings of a yellow flower before yanking the ones near my Sorrel.

I've spent many hours ferreting out the buttercups from other areas in the yard. At least it's somewhat mind-numbing ....