SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheapheap

Help me choose bamboo for dry summer

cheapheap
9 years ago

Hello!
I would like to grow a grove of bamboo that would be 9 to 30 feet tall - taller would be fine but I doubt that I could give the conditions that would be needed - so I am assuming that growing a bamboo that has a mature height in that range would be good idea rather than choosing something that will be stunted- right?

I live in the southwest corner of the pacific northwest, between the Coast Range and the Cascades (south of Eugene). From my reading it seems that the main problem that I will have is that our annual summer drought really hits hard in July - September. I can water a bit but for the areas that I would like to cover it would be best if the plant could at least survive without it once established.

Summers are dry with fairly low humidity during the heat of the day. Nightime temperatures can easily swing 30 degrees (ex: 94 F daytime high, 64 F nighttime low) which is not ideal for many plants.

The positive things would be that our winter is fairly mild with a low of around plus 10 F for a very short period every few years and having a whole week with the temp never going above freezing is rare (the lawn is green now.) Our spring is mild but it seems fairly short - I could water as much as I need thru June. Late September through October the rain starts back up with a lot of growing time left in season.

I do not have any problem with containment. Lots of room and I can't imagine a plant that does not have thorns, or give you rashes, and is actually visible that I could not deal with fairly easily. If that fails, I have goats too! They are relentless ( and will be fenced out if anything is to live).

From my reading Phyllostachys rubromarginata sounds like it might be a good one to try. Another that I would like to work but am not sure of is Pseudosasa japonica for a screen around the edges.

Others that I am considering:

Phyllostachys aurea "Golden"- common for a reason?
Phyllostachys glauca
Phyllostachys nigra - but don't really need anything other than just plain green to be interesting here
Phyllostachys decora - I have read about it doing well in Utah, similar summers.

Any input will be appreciated! Perhaps there is not a bamboo that would work at all?

Thoughts, musings, anecdotes?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!