SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariannese

Do you garden with your partner?

mariannese
9 years ago

If you have a partner, do you share the garden and the gardening? There's a discussion going on on a Swedish forum and there are so many women who have to fight to be able to do what they want in the garden. Their partners are either indifferent or hostile and want as much as lawn as possible and with no obstacles to the mower. No trees, no shrubs, no flower beds. One man jumped in to say that in his case it was the reverse. His wife wanted only a vast expanse of lawn but he wanted a jungle.

I find this very sad and hope that this sorry state isn't too common. I can understand if one partner is indifferent but from there to actively hinder one's partner's hobby is not understandable to me. If it's a question of money it's a bit more understandable but I can't find that it's a question of economy in most cases. One of the women supports her husband as he doesn't work and still has to hide new plants from him.

My husband and I garden together but my husband works harder and more often. It's winter here and most gardening is over so now we make plans for next year, what to plant and where, share ideas, discuss new projects, read books and catalogs. We don't always agree and have to compromise, the compromise often turns out better. I think this is natural, the house and the garden belong to both of us.

Comments (31)