SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbubandit_gw

Trusted sites for seeds/seedlings, also when should I begin?

SBUBandit
9 years ago

Do you folks have preferred sites you like for buying seedling/seeds? I've done a little searching around, and one of the trees I want is pretty tough to find, and some are just darn expensive. I'm leaning towards starting from seed just to save the money and have the pride of knowing I grew the whole thing.

I bought a new house this past fall, on 2 acres, and I plan to put 3-4 Autumn Blaze Maples across the back edge of the property, full sun, no other trees within 100 yards in any direction.

Then the one I'm most excited about, I will be cutting down a small Willow in my side yard and replacing it with a Copper Beech. I can only find those as seeds, but it would be a very impressive tree and would have a ton of wide open full sun space.

Then a Crimson King, these I can find a little easier locally, so I might get a seedling

Then one of my personal favorites, an Eastern Redbud that I plan to put outside my Kitchen window where I can landscape around it

I plan to use Tree Tubes/stakes for all of them.

If I buy seeds now and do the cold stratify process and get them germinated in the spring would the timing work out or do I need to wait and start in the fall?

Comments (9)