SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrycalhoun

Grafting Onto (Mostly) Invasive Field Stock

terrycalhoun
9 years ago

Hi, I've been on something of an Internet learning quest on this. I've never grafted a tree before, but plan to do hundreds next spring. I have that many volunteer Black Walnut ready to take scionwood from one of my trees that has Jumbo-size nuts.

But then I got to thinking: What other field rootstock do I have dormant out there, just waiting to pump water and fuel into more productive grafts?

Pretty sure my possibilities are over-optimistic but I'd be happy to learn from others' experiences. I have so many of each of the following trees that I would love utilize to be producing quicker and stranger harvests.

Here are my current ideas:

1- Black Walnut (other BW, Butternut, Heartnut, Buartnut)
2- Elm (Camperdown Elm, just for fun)
3- Buckthorn (Seaberry, Jujube)
4- Autumn or Russian Olive (Goumi)
5- Mulberry (sweeter cultivars)
6- Shagbark Hickory (other cultivars, Hicans, Pecans)
7- Red Cedar (other other Juniper, including those producing large Juniper berries)
8- Apple (three nearly gone 70-year old trees I am going to try to revive and graft onto, plus some crabapple and wild apple volunteers.
9- Pear (improved cultivars onto the wild ones I have)
10- Wild grape (improved cultivars)
11- Multiflora rose (cultivars for beauty and hips)
⢠Am I missing anything? :)

Phew! I figure this year I am going massive on the walnuts and experimenting on everything else.

P.S. I am not planting invasives. I just would like to use some of the invasives' volunteer root systems currently in place while I continue with my destruction of the rest of them. I have 20 acres and a lot of very healthy bushes.

This post was edited by TerryCalhoun on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 15:33

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths