SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

How Do You Decide?? What Makes You Swoon??

Like so many here on this forum, growing roses has been a evolutionary process of sorts. I remember seeing Mrs. John Laing over a decade ago and being enamored with it (my bite from the rose bug). I purchased the wrong type of roses for my climate, colors that bleached out and made the garden look as though it was an odd white garden during the heat of summer, and then I joined the local rose society that is/was heavily skewed toward the modern roses. As a result, my past gardens were heavily skewed toward the modern roses.

Summer of 2013, I wandered into this forum and truly discovered Old Garden Roses, but also learned that I had purchased a handful of OGR's over a decade ago ( the wrong ones for my climate of course). I love the charm, beauty and fragrance of the OGR's and Austin's. They also seem to integrate very nicely into the landscape.

English gardens often appear so calm, and serene when there is a soft palette, BUT, I also like the lively, bold, deep colors, and sometimes a perfect but full hybrid tea rose. See the dilemma? Are there any of you who like the soft AND bold colors, or the moderns AND O.G.R's? Maybe ALL OF THEM? How do, or have you reconciled differences in what you like without creating a garden that appears schizophrenic or is schizophrenic just eclectic nowadays? How do you decide what makes the cut?

What makes you swoon? For me, it is the fragrance of Young Lycidas, the beautiful lavender blooms of Love Song or a large OGR in full bloom swallowing the facade of a house or gently draped around an arbor.

Lynn

Comments (22)