SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Craigslist: if you don't really know pricing, how do you decide?

Just contemplating good deals vs. fair prices vs. outrageous prices when it comes to CL. What do you go by when you decide to buy an item?

I usually look at the cost of what I would pay for a similar item that is new. If multiple similar used items are for sale, I review those listings. I like to buy secondhand, too, for environmental reasons.

I haven't really delved into vintage/antiques acquisition, except for a vintage eBay clock; with that, again I was looking at comps, setting a budget of what I would pay, what it would be new, condition, how much I liked it etc.

The reason I've been thinking about this is we just bought two used twin beds. To buy something comparable, new, would have been about $400 for each bed, and we paid $100 for each bed...so 25%. Seems reasonable to me.

But I guess, deep down, I am dreading that my mom will tell me we paid too much...she thinks used items are overpriced (although she is a major cheapskate). For me, the bottom line isn't always about the price.

Exact matching styles, both oak (one painted), 4 storage drawers+center cabinet underneath, solid and fully functional but with cosmetic wear and tear (which is okay because I'm painting them blue for the boys).

Comments (15)