SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kentlc

a good apricot pillar/short climber?

KentLC
9 years ago

I have a trellis against a large brick chimney. It's about 9' high and 4' wide and is right next to the front porch, about 5' from the front door of our house. Before we remodeled I tried planting a climbing rose on it but it overwhelmed the space, sorry I don't remember the name. Now, after the remodel, I'm ready to plant something there again.

Originally I had planned on Abraham Darby. I want a peach/apricot color, reblooming, good scent, old rose flowers, and manageable size. But I'm having trouble finding one. I've contacted all of the nurseries near me and all of the ones listed on the Austin website, none of them have it.

So, are there any other roses you could recommend for that space? Manageable size is most important, I want the rose and the blooms to be visible from the front porch and the front door. Color is just as important, pinks or reds would not look good with the house colors and my wife doesn't want white. Fragrance is also high on the list again because it is near the main entrance.

I'm in the interior valleys of LA. The trellis gets at least 6 hours of sun, with filtered shade in the late afternoon. I had an A Darby at my previous house about 3 blocks from this one and it grew well, flowered repeatedly, I just liked it a lot. But I want to plant something this year.

Comments (17)