SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rickysgirl_gw

What is wrong with my Star Jasmine Bonsai?

RickysGirl
9 years ago

I was given a beautiful Star Jasmine Bonsai frommy daughters for Mother's Day this past May. It was mailed to me and it arrived at a bad time, the day before I was leaving for a 2-week trip! I didn't have the time to properly read up on its care and so I put it outside in a big tray with water in it as I understood this as being the humidity tray, and instructed someone to be sure it was watered and brought in during rainstorms. I did not realize the humidity tray needed a layer of gravel and consequently for two weeks, the plant sat in soaked soil due to soaking up water through the hole in the bottom of it's bonsai pot for two weeks!!! Then it got a nasty mealy bug infestation. A friend took it to their house for me as I was afraid it'd soread to my other plants. He was very meticulous, and tried everything including malathion, and alcohol swabbing. He even took it out of it's pot and washed the roots and repotted it in a new pot. He had grow lights on it, but he had to return it to me due to his having to start chemo. He said he hasn't had the time to do a thorough mealy bug check on it and said to throw it out if I find any because we've certainly done all we could. The leaves are shriveled-looking, and some are rather yellowish or pale. Can anyone tell me what they think could be wrong with this plant? Does it look like mealy bugs still? They were in the soil before, and I know they can be very difficult to banish forever. Lastly, I have a bathroom that has no windows save for a sun tube in the ceiling so i put it in there to keep it from all my other plants in the house. I'm not sure if it has enough light - it certainly does not right now due to the 15-18" of snow on the roof so I might move it to a south facing bedroom. The bathroom is nice and cozy due to the radiant heat from the floor. The bedroom at least has natural light (1-window) but it tends to have temperature fluctuations 70 during the day, 60 at night - but first things first, I'm so scared of the mealy bug possibility! This plant means a lot to me since it was given to me by my girls and I would really love to be confident that it doesn't have something that can spread to my other house plants - thank you PS it does have flowers!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH