SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peter1142

Miscellaneous 2015 Choices

Peter1142
9 years ago

Please help me make some final choices. I will be ordering most of my seeds from Johnny's, which I think is a good choice, but was thinking it may be good to spread out a few to Burpee....

Here are the ones I am on the fence about:

Farao Cabbage (Johnny) or Early Jersey Wakefield (Burpee) ... They seem similar. Farao is a Hybrid and Early Jersey Wakefield is an Heirloom. Can't find any specific reviews for either Farao or this particular Burpee strain of Early Jersey Wakefield.

Jamabalaya Okra (Johnny's) or Chant Hybrid (Burpee)... my Okra didn't do great last year as most of my heat loving plants didn't so looking for a faster producer.

Blue Wind Broccoli (Johnny Hybrid) or Di Ciccio (Burpee Heirloom). Hope to get lots of side shoots and fast reliable production.

Jackson Classic Cucumber or Picklebush Burpee... I would prefer a bush plant for pickling cukes. Jackson Classic is touted as being virtually impenetrable by disease.

Sugar Snap or Super Sugar Snap (both Johnny's)... is Powdery Mildew that much of a concern? Basically Super Sugar Snap is Sugar Snap that doesn't taste as good but with PM resistance.

Cinammon Girl Pumpkin... any opinions on this? I grew Burpee Small Sugar Pumpkins last year and they grew very well and produced plenty of pumpkins, but were taken down by PM, and the SVB didn't help. If I could find a PM resistant pumpkin that will produce as well to make small cooking pumpkins that would be great... also SVB resistance but not sure that really exists.

Eleonora or Burpee Sweet Basil... the Burpee Classic Sweet Basil produced prolifically for me, but was taken down by BDM... Eleonora boasts some small level of BDM resistance.

Taxi (Johnny) or Sweet Tangerine (Burpee).. for a determinate lower-acid tomato for an early yield; to be planted alongside the indeterminates... Sweet Tangerine seems to have much better reviews.

Thanks! Here are my other choices:

Red Ace Beets
Imperial Star Artichokes
Nelson & Purple Haze Carrots
Hansel, Galine Eggplants
Ace Peppers
Golden Rave, Sun Gold, Jet Star Tomatoes (Harris) (Have to grow lower acidity tomatoes for GERD diet)
Fortex Pole Beans (my Dad grew these and was giving away buckets of beans), French Filet Bush beans (have leftover from last year, did well.)
Spineless Perfection, Fordhook Zucchini
Honey Bear, Table Queen (Burpee) Acorn Squash
Bush Delicata Squash (Harris)
Beauregard Sweet Potato (Steele)
Kennebec Potatoes (Moose Tubers or Potato Garden)
Long-Day Onion Sampler (Dixondale)
.. And I already have Mary Washington Asparagus and Russian Red, German White, and Elephant Garlic in the ground.

Also does anyone know where to get a small 5-10 crown order or a good all-male variety asparagus to fill out the row? If I am going to keep my asparagus bed, the 8 crowns I have just aren't going to cut it....

Comments (23)