SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Growing asparagus seed this year to plant next year?

beesneeds
9 years ago

I just got in three packets of asparagus seed in a round robin trade... All three are Mary Washington. I think between the three are about 60-75 seed.

Now I'm wondering what's the best way to grow it. Ideally, I would like to container grow it this year, and plant in the crowns in 2016.

I've read that it can be wintersown.. and that it can be chilled, soaked, and started in the spring. Or wet stratified, or toss the seed in the fridge now and plant in soil later.. And a whole bunch of other stuff too about direct seeding, and planting in bed in the same year.

But I really want to grow decent crowns this year, and give myself time to really set up a good bed this year... then plant in good crowns next year.

So how do I go about doing this? How should I treat my seeds now? I have half gallon, one gallon, three gallon, and five gallon containers I can use to grow out seeds this year. What I do not have is garden or yard space to plant them into the ground this year.

And since I am taking the time to really do up the bed for next year.. any particular advice? The two areas I'm thinking about building most are rather different- one is in full sun, loamy sandy, and rather moist- I would be tearing up a chunk of lawn by a ditchside that is wet enough to grow cattails. The second area is full sun to dappled shade in the afternoon, mostly sand with some loam, and much drier- it's on the back 40 where prairie meets woodland kind of verge. Either way I have a year empty chicken coop to stir into the tilling and some horse manure that can be tilled in as well, so it will be getting extra nutes. And either way the bed will be 6 feet wide by 20-40 feet long, depending on how the bed is situated.
I'd rather a longer bed personally- our household can easily eat 60-80 asparagus a year between fresh, freezing, dehydrating, and canning/pickling.

Comments (4)