SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aligal266

adding curb appeal to our home

aligal266
9 years ago

Hi,
** I also posted this in the tips and techniques forum with little luck**

We are trying to figure out ways to add curb appeal to our home. We added a little dimension to the old paint with some trim work and are thinking about adding a trellis above the garage. This is our first home and we will be doing most of the work ourselves. Please let me know if you have any ideas!

Thank you!!

Comments (42)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Based on the single picture, I think you could stand to add a flower box below the garage window. I would do good fakes to make it easy to maintain.

Other notes directly on drawing.

Also, the single picture doesn't convey enough information. I'd add five more pictures (you already have the first) in the direction of the red arrows on plan view drawing. You would pan the camera for overlapping pictures while standing at the two different locations.

I like the stately, "estate"-like atmosphere that the tall trees provide. They don't create a claustrophobic looking yard.

{{gwi:2117720}}

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi! thank you for the suggestions please keep them coming. please see the below pictures!

• Related Discussions

Adding Curb appeal- what goes w/ my house?

Q

Comments (1)
    If that link doesn't work for the pictures, try this one. Here is a link that might be useful: Link for pictures of Adding curb appeal- need help
    ...See More

Need help adding curb appeal

Q

Comments (1)
    If you're looking for help with foundation planting, the picture is too fuzzy, from too far away and doesn't include enough space surrounding the house (beyond the side lot lines.) If you don't get the help you're looking for, you might return when you can add some better pictures.
    ...See More

Advice on adding curb appeal to home

Q

Comments (22)
    The dark looks nice, but in a hot climate, I wouldn't go so dark. Also, your siding is rough cedar, which actually makes the paint adhere better. "1) Beveled cedar siding. The most common type of siding used on homes constructed prior to the 1990’s. While this material is still in use, it has been widely replaced with Hardie Board siding. You can expect to pay a bit more to paint your house if you have rough-cut cedar siding. The roughness of this surface is what makes it a durable product as it holds on lots of paint and also cools down faster. Back-rolling or back-brushing is an absolute must with this type of siding. Paint must be pushed into the texture to ensure a strong bond."
    ...See More

Need some curb appeal help for our mountain house!!!

Q

Comments (13)
    i agree with most comments especially on how to treat the doors. Imagine looking at the picture you showed us & the ski door is same color as house - it’s gone! I like your idea of adding lighting to entry especially around the front door not storage door. If you want to add interest to that side wall with no symmetry maybe think about adding a locally interesting wall ornament that’s weather proof. Iron art? Snowboarder? Per @Olychick comments,be sure to hang it above the snow line!
    ...See More
  • aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

picture 2

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

picture 3

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

picture 5

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

picture 6

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Don't know if this would work but how about going to Google Images and search on various subjects that you think may look good for curb appeal. Such as; flower bed ideas. arbors, etc. There may be some great shots that would trigger your mind...

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Your house and yard are very pretty.

Hurts me to say this, and I can hardly believe I find myself typing this, but . . . I think you have too many trees up against the house :-(

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Oaktown,
    Unfortunately, I do agree with you. An arborist came to our house today and we are going to be removing the dying oaks (6 in all). that should hopefully help some of the smaller trees flourish and also help make our yard less cluttered.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Our house sold quickly. I think it was because we had alot of blooming shrubs out front.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Our house sold quickly. I think it was because we had alot of blooming shrubs out front.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Here are pictures reassembled. Not sure if it will show you enlarged version when you click on it. (If I can't get back to it later today, it will be several days, maybe as much as a week, before I get around to making comments. My computer going in for repair.)

{{gwi:2117727}}

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

You might want to move in even closer and take another set that captures the foundation planting. I would stand straight out from the front door ... about 10' in front of face of garage wall, and pan the camera.

{{gwi:2117728}}

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I see the composite pictures won't enlarge like I'm able to see them, but they'll still be useful in conjunction with the original shots.

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, here's the panorama.
    We also added the trellis today. Should we paint it the color of the trim?

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sorry i keep adding the pictures in different posts. I don't see an option to add them all in the same post.

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi,
    One additional question for you all. What kind of plants would look best in this type of environment. The previous owner liked tropical plants and it just didn't work with the trees so we removed most of them, but we love having greenery as long as it "matches". Any suggestions would be appreciated. :) thank you!

• artemis_ma
    9 years ago

What (gardening) zone are you?

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi,
    We are in zone 9b

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I was wanting you to line up with the front door so we could get that perspective and also see a closer view of foundation plantings at left end of house. It's better if you don't make into a panorama before posting, it shrinks and distorts too much. Better to post the separates.

I would consider grouping the trees into large groundcover islands with smooth, convex bed lines (no wavy edges.) Given your zone, it is usually Asiatic jasmine used for this as it tolerates quite dense shade. (I assume you are east coast ...?) On the arbor above garage door, if you're going to grow a vine you might consider bleeding heart vine, Clerodendrum thomsoniae. Of vines that tolerate shade, it still blooms some. (Better blooming in sun, of course.)

It looks like there are still a few low limbs. I would remove these, letting the remaining tree trunks look more stately. It's not as if you need additional shade.

At the area bounded by the walk and house, it's too much a hodge podge. I would remove all shrubs and groundcover and start over. There is a tree near the inside corner of this area. It is too close to the house and not needed. I would remove now, before it gets any larger. If the stepping stones are there to access a hose bibb, I would consider running a line to a location that is much more convenient. You could mount a spigot and hose reel on a post just about anywhere.

{{gwi:2143003}}

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

Yes, I think you should paint the trellis over the garage door the same color as the trim.
    I agree with Yardvaark about removing the shrubs near the front door as well as the tree in the corner. Post a picture after the trees have been removed.
    I believe that in an earlier thread the OP said that they are in California.

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi,
    I'll take pictures near the front door tomorrow morning and yes we live in California.
    I won't have pictures of the trees we are removing for 3-4 weeks (it take a while to get a permit to remove oak trees) I will post a picture then as well

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

West coast ... then I don't know what kind of low groundcover you use.

I know it's trying for good taste that the monochromatic color schemes are popular. But I think there is room in these schemes for small amounts of lively color. I liken it to a man's business suit where an exciting neck tie adds some interest and pizzazz. If it were mine, for the arbor I would find a color compatible with the scheme instead of painting it just like the rest of the trim. It does not need to be gaudy. My 2 cents.

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here are some pictures of the left side

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

picture 2 of the front

9 years ago

The shrubs on the left have seen better days. Pull them out and incorporate that area into a bed that includes the tree right in front of them--unless it will be removed soon. In any case, you need something other than a narrow bed along the house. Create something that curves out into the yard with plants that won't block the windows.

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hahahah i agree, they have seen much better days. They are not meant for shade, so I'm sure that's why they look so sparse. I like the idea of expanding the bed, but can't really picture it in my mind. Do you have an example by chance?
    Thanks!

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I did not hear whether or not you like gardening. If you enjoy gardening you will want more room, like in the picture below. If you want low maintenance then a bit less than this wide. Plants are not meant to be so close to the house.

9 years ago

Here is another picture of a very basic design. I wouldn't put the tree in front of the window, but the curved bed is sort of what I had in mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden bed idea

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

General thoughts ...

Too many tree trunks in the front.

Once your oaks are removed, group the other trees in planting beds with suitable shrubs, as was shown in an earlier mockup.

Reposition/dispose of the shrubs on the left side of the house. Nothing should be planted that close to the house. Consider that you need to be able to work between all shrubbery and the house. Shrubbery planted further out from the house will grow better, as well.

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, I was playing around on paint (not very well) and drew this up based on many of your suggestions (thank you).. a winding wooden pathway through the yard with white rocks on the side of it (based on something from pinterest) with small flowering plants on the side of that. The trellis painted a flat dark brown, some shutters on the left side of the house and above the garage and a flower box above the garage. We will also try to find a ground cover to group all of the trees together. I was also thinking of flower boxes under the windows on the right side of the house, thoughts? We are going to have to rip out almost all of the current plants and replant and expand on the left side of the house. Am I missing anything? I really appreciate your suggestions and am taking all of them to heart.
    Thank you so much!

9 years ago

I'm not a fan of the shutters or the white rocks. Those details are verging too close to "cottage", which your house is not. I also don't think you need window boxes over the garage doors since you have added the trellis/arbor. Start visiting local nurseries and paying attention to similar houses in your area. Take pictures and write down names of plants you see at the nurseries. Look for ground covers and vines for the arbor.Then take more pictures when your oaks are gone and post them so we can make more suggestions.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

Unless people arrive by foot and walk from the street to the house, the path has no meaning whatsoever.

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

Yardvaark's mockup with the (3) beds incorporating the trees gives your frontyard the organization it's crying for.

A pathway through the current chaos accomplishes nothing of similar value.

Once you get the beds in place, you can incorporate flowers at various spots at the edges of the beds to color things up a bit.

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The reason for the pathway is because the driveway is very long a narrow. It can only fit a car at a time. When someone is in the driveway people park on the street and walk through the front lawn to get to the house. I want to avoid them walking on be grass and getting muddy etc.

• aligal266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

By the way- we will redo the drive eventually to fix that issue... But it won't be for s very long time. We have a laundry list of other things that are more important to us.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I think Nandina said it as well as can be said.
    Mike

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

I'd agree that you are badly in need of a chainsaw. But it sounds as though that problem will be solved soon.

If you need a sidewalk from the house to the street, DON'T border it as pictured above. A long sweeping curved walk in a natural material would look nice, but stones and small plants all along both sides is NOT the way to go.

It's hard to tell how the house will look without the trees that are going to be removed, but my gut reaction is that you need light colored flowers. Your house, while pretty, is a dull color. I'd plant white and yellow flowering shrubs to brighten it up, but I have no idea what would work in zone 9. I'm in the frozen midwest. :)

• ishcountrygal
    9 years ago

Aligal, sorry to hear that some of your oaks are dying. Did the arborist tell you what is causing their demise? Do you like the shade that they cast? It will be interesting to see what your place looks like after some are removed.

Are you in a part of California that restricts the use of water in the landscape? Do you expect water restrictions in the future?

You might take walks through your neighborhood and contemplate which of the landscapes look like they belong in your neck of the woods and which ones you like. Look at the trees, the gardens, the hardscape. Are other driveways and walks similar to yours?

You're in California, embrace that. I like Nandina's (and botann's) comment.

A path from the street for convenience of your visitors is fine. But you say you don't want your yard to feel too cluttered. Lining the path will contribute to clutter, so would flower boxes. If you put in a path, make it sweeping rather than winding, as suggested. (I once made the mistake, of putting a contorted one through woods to my beach. It feels nonsensical to walk it.)

If you grow a vine on your trellis, it'll look like the trellis is there for a purpose. You can use colorful flowers in pots placed as a welcoming focus for your entrance.

If your place appears maintained and loved, that counts a lot towards curb appeal.

Don't let such varied opinions for your landscape discourage you. If you can visit open gardens this spring, you will probably see some that inspire you.

• User
    9 years ago

Being that I am from Ohio, and not California some or all of what I have to say may sound odd, or might not work at all.

First thing to do is remove the dying trees, and any that are too close to the house. Remove all of the shrubs in the front areas of the house.

I am a proponent of basic (not overdone) lighting. Consider can lights in the soffit, and some waist tall pillars with lights that match those on the house for some pooling path and driveway lighting. You can do a quick internet search for walkway pillars / columns.

Do a quick sketch of the house and property layout with some simple dimensions (you can even post that here for some submissions, or take it to a local garden center for design help.) Having a long term plan will help you stay focused, and keep cohesion to the elements.

Before you build a walkway, make sure it is needed for functionality. Look into overlays for your current sidewalk (if you do not want a new one altogether) that can be matched on the additional walk to the street, and make sure to plan the new walk so it flows into the existing without looking like an afterthought. Keep in mind that a path without borders looks cleaner as it cuts through the lawn, and will not divide / land lock areas of your lawn when mowing. We have to mow our lawns here in Ohio weekly to bi-weekly, maybe that is not a concern for you.

When landscaping (unless you are an active gardener) give your plants lots of space, and keep the variety low. I am used to using some foundation shrubs with a few specimen conifers, japanese maples for interest, and 1,000-2,000 lb 4-6' long landscape rocks / boulders. Less is more to me when it comes to plants. The overflowing cottage look appears cluttered and messy, but that is just my opinion.

Look for pictures of japanese gardens, and see what your northern neighbors do in oregon with interesting specimens over masses of shrubbery and perennials.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

To clarify, I made the suggestion of window box before knowing that the arbor was a hard commitment. I would not suggest it IN ADDITION TO arbor. Catching up a little, I agree with most of the other comments about the walk routing and details. I would not line the edge of the walk with plants or stones. (Imagine confining edges of indoor traffic paths with raised barriers ... it would not be good!)