SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rickster88_gw

No idea what just happened to my ficus

Rickster88
9 years ago

Hi All,

I repotted both my ficus lyrata and ficus elastica into 5-1-1 mix (the lyrata about 3 months ago and the Elastica about 5 months ago). Both of my ficus' we're doing well after the repot with new leaves and shoots developing (large leaves too may I add). My watering habits is and was daily with fertilising done twice a week on a low dosage. The watering and fertilising schedule has not changed and neither has the plant position. I made an air pot and as a testament to how well the roots are doing after 3 months some roots started circling the holes and dying back (as intended).

At the beginning of last week both plants started experiencing browning of the leaves like as though it was dying of drought. Most of it in the centre of the leaves.
I can't figure out what is happening. I checked to see if it was overwatered using the wooden dowel method but by the end of the day the 5-1-1 mix was not wet. I dug around to look at the health of the roots and there is a lot of white and light ocre coloured roots.
Some pictures to show what is happening might explain it better than my words.
{{gwi:2117475}}
{{gwi:2117476}}
{{gwi:2117477}}
Someone please help!

Comments (13)