Houzz Logo Print
jasonmi7

Books that haunt you....

18 years ago

Ever read a book that, for either it's content or it's presentation, just haunts you? Again and again, you find yourself thinking of the situation displayed, or the people shown, or what has unfolded? I find myself doing that once every couple decades.

Comments (61)

  • 18 years ago

    "The Road" has really stuck with me like it has for others. Another was William Styron's "Sophies Choice".

    Kevin

  • 18 years ago

    I am haunted by Eagles in the Snow, a very fine novel of the beginning of the end of the Roman Empire. The protagonist, despite his heroic efforts, is unable to hold back tens of thousands of Vandals, etc. who cross the frozen Rhine into Gaul. I see certain parallels with today, and I cannot let it go. I have avoided reading The Road because I do not need another such.

  • Related Discussions

    Confused..!!!! My Ex is haunting me.

    Q

    Comments (20)
    Did you say PIE?. How about Dutch apple. lol.. i have no issues with whats said about me or my grammer, grammor, grammar.. people understand what i write, so that is all that matters. im not upset about it. i know it was joke in good humor. and there is no hurt feelings or any anger. we are after all, only human. (that is spelled right) right?..lol i can take a joke. just let me know when the pie is ready.
    ...See More

    Which book would you give someone who's never owned a book?

    Q

    Comments (17)
    Mariannese's comment is EXACTLY what the concept of my post (well, actually the WashPost blogger's post) is meant to imply. Not a book for someone who has never read a book, by his or her own choice. But a book that has moved you to some great extent -- whether by teaching you a lesson of compassion or love or understanding, or encouraging you to follow a dream, or simply by transporting you to a different world that you would probably never have the opportunity to experience. The kind of book that you know you always want on your bookshelf to reread over and over again -- one that you must own. And for a child, the ownership factor can mean a great deal, esp if that child comes from a poor (financially speaking) family. (The first book, for a child, that I thought of was Dr. Seuess's "Sneetches.")
    ...See More

    Questions re 'Various Haunts of Men'

    Q

    Comments (3)
    Mary, it is four years since I read V H of M (I have just checked) so cannot remember the details though I did find the ending very powerful. As Lafferton has a cathedral it must be be a city, even if it were only the size of a modest 'market town'. As Hill describes it it is far too big to be a village. Over here it is possible for a settlement of tens of thousand of people to only be a 'town' but a cathedral always gives a place city status. I remember thinking of Glastonbury when she mentioned the hippy-type community. I haven't been there for years but remember it as rather grubby with dusty shops selling crystals, tie-dye clothes and 'healing experiences'. All rather grim! I can't believe she would have based it on one single place. Have just found the website below which might be of interest. I'm sure there wasn't a map in the edition I read. The article is obviously written by an American fan :-) Here is a link that might be useful: Lafferton: click on map to enlarge
    ...See More

    Book Videos & 2 Great Reviews of Books You May not Know About

    Q

    Comments (1)
    Thank you.
    ...See More
  • 18 years ago

    The book "Lest Innocent Blood Be Shed" by Philip Hallie has been with me for many years. Non-fiction, about a small, poor farming village in southern France which, during WWII, took in thousands of Jewish children - under the nose of the Nazi's.

  • 18 years ago

    The new book that has haunted me lately is Gone and Back Again by a guy named Jonathon S. Fuqua. It is absolutely a scortching family tale about mental illness, neglect and honesty. It is told in a pitch perfect voice that is biting and funny. It's also cruel, scared, and hopeful. It has stayed with me since before Thanksgiving, and I have no doubt it'll continue to do so.

  • 18 years ago

    I agree that "The Road" was the most disturbing book I have ever read.

    Another work that will always stay with me is Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw."

  • 18 years ago

    I apologize if the word 'haunted' drew up nothing but dire thoughts; perhaps I should start another mentioning books that 'stick' with you without using such a negative connotation. On the other hand, yes, I was specifically thinking of the Road when I first posted this, perhaps because I was dumb enough to read, right after it, Kuntsler's book "The Long Emergency", which is supposedly non-fiction, but it's about what he 'thinks' is going to happen when we run out of cheap oil....and it ain't pretty. Then I started thinking of some of the other books of that nature I've read, and many have a similar prediction. Perhaps I should go get The Postman to read now.

    Another rather...unforgettable book along these lines was American Psycho. And the movie with Christian Bale, although a B-movie, was pretty chilling, too.

  • 18 years ago

    I agree that "haunting" just means that a story, etc. sticks in my head for a while. Bones of the Moon by Jonathan Carroll did this for a long time after the first time I read it. And I will second jasonmi's thoughts on American Psycho -- I could barely stomach the book and would prefer to forget it altogether, but find that even now, years after I read it, I still remember things from it. Argh!

  • 18 years ago

    Some of the books that do stick with me are King Rat (excellent Clavell) Where the Red Fern Grows (so sad!) and Schindler's List. That's about as scary as I go. But when I was a teenager, I devoured Stephen King's books over and over. I still vividly recall a story in Nightshift about a man who lost his pinky finger after joining a non-smoking program.

  • 18 years ago

    Someone in the Romance thread mentioned The Good Husband by Gail Godwin. I'd so include this one; there have been many opportunities for this to just pop into my head and stay there a bit. Plus anytime I hear Beethoven's 9th I think of it, coz I was listening to it while sitting by the ocean, finishing the book.

  • 18 years ago

    I unapologetically choose not to read any book that I know will be "gut-wrenching"-except my book club selections-I'm a fiction ostrich, if you will. Fiction is my safe-haven, my rest, my sanctuary. I get enough haunting images from the real news, which I read and watch daily. However, I do have books that have turned into life-long companions:
    In This House of Brede and The Kitchen Madonna Rumer Godden
    ...and Ladies of the Club Helen Hooven Santmyer
    Matriarch Anne Edwards
    Little Women and Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom Louisa May Alcott: these were my first companions, and I still enjoy rereading them, 45 years on.

  • 18 years ago

    Green Darkness by Anya Seton

  • 18 years ago


    As someone above mentioned, real life as heard about on the news or read of in the newspaper is haunting enough. No need to read fiction for haunting. But there have been books about past horrors that will keep you depressed for weeks. Gone with the Wind with its descriptions of the desolation and destruction of life in Georgia during and after the Civil War, books about Europe during the plague years, books about actual war experiences, murders such as In Cold Blood.
    One purely fictional book, also already mentionded above, that haunted and depressed me was A Map of the World. I have never recommended it to another living soul. Stay away from that one if you tend to be depression prone.

  • 18 years ago

    This is becoming a very useful list as I, too, avoid depressing/haunting/violent/ugly/dysfunctional family books like the plague. As Cece, Bumblebeez and Frongia have said, I have enough horrible images in my head courtesy of the news media and I don't need to add to them. The Road and The Kite Runner are two books I know I'll never, ever read no matter how brilliant the writing ... "fiction ostrich" -- yup, that's me.

    There are dozens of fictional characters and stories that have stayed close to my heart over the years, though I'm not sure "haunted" would be the way to describe their effect on me.

  • 18 years ago

    See, again, I think the term haunted needs to be defined. To me something from a book that haunts me is something that stays with me. Its neither good or bad, but something so powerful that the visual image is permanetly sealed in my brain and it shows itself every now and again. I agree that real life has enough horror, but reading books that contain troubling scenes are not in and of themselves bad. Fall on your knees was horrible. Set This House in Order, dealing with a similar topic in a different manner, was amazing. Both had scenes in them that haunt me (and I wish I could erase the one from the former), but its the latter which I think changed my perspective on the subject of mental illness and abuse.

    So maybe a better word than haunted? Most unforgettable? Or ones you wish you could forget?

  • 18 years ago

    I think you are right, cindy. The term 'haunt' seems to carry with it the idea of a horror movie, or something of that nature. And yet a 'haunting melody' in music does not seem to be burdened with that kind of sensibility. Go figure.

    I think 'books that haunt you' could mean that the message of the book has made a lasting impression on our thinking. We have been forced to re-evaluate a notion that we have held as a 'norm', giving us a new perspective, as you said, cindy.

    For me, "Lest Innocent Blood Be Shed" continues to challenge my thinking about these questions: How do I determine who needs my help? How much help am I willing to give?
    The message of the book for me was this: A small, poor and virtually unorganized group of people saved thousands of lives - something that seems impossible to accomplish. How were they able to do this? Why did they do this? Why didn't more towns do this? The book gave me a new standard by which to judge my actions regarding helping others. The story has been integrated into my thinking somehow, and will probably 'haunt' me the rest of my life, although not in a negative way.

  • 18 years ago

    cindy, I agree with your definition -- "something that stays with one" over the years. Possibly also unforgettable. I would contrast the quite forgettable "Fall on Your Knees" with the excellent "Glass Castle." Both are about dysfunctional families. The first I could not wait to get through and remember very little of. The second is so well written with such awesome detail and strong characterization that I know it will stay in my mind for quite a long time.

    Another novel that I did not want to end and found powerful was "The Historian." I would say that I found it haunting, in a positive way.

  • 18 years ago

    Krakauer's Into the Wild (the Chris McCandless story) haunts me. I haven't seen the movie yet... am a little afraid of how upsetting it might be to watch.

    Francis Crawford from Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles is a character that gets under your skin (actually, I can think of several Dunnett characters that are like that).

  • 18 years ago

    I very much agree with CindyÂs concept of haunt. My own belief is that a little piece of every book I read stays with me in some way, whether good or bad, whether itÂs buried somewhere forgotten until something sparks a memory, or whether itÂs a memorable character, gifted prose, or thought-provoking plot that I canÂt get off my mind. It may sound simplistic, but for me, being haunted is what reading is all about and is what makes reading so fulfilling. Being haunted by a book can make me change the way I view something, alter my life, or leave a truly nasty aftertaste.

    The first time I read Native Son by Richard Wright, all these many years ago, I was haunted, just as I was when I read OrwellÂs 1984. Anything by Graham Greene leaves me feeling that way (The Power and the Glory, The Quiet American, The End of the Affair), and McCarthyÂs The Road will forever stand as a novel that worked its way under my skin and that I cannot forget. That also goes for Markus ZusakÂs The Book Thief, The Sheltering Sky (Paul Bowles), Pretty Birds (Scott Simon), The Shadow of the Wind (Carlos Ruiz Zafon), The Stranger (Albert Camus), The God of Small Things (Arundhati Roy) and Out (Natsuo Kirino).

  • 18 years ago


    Fiction rarely haunts me for long. It's the real life stuff that does it. Just read The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan. This is the story of the American Great Plains, or rather, the destruction of the American Great Plains by the enticing offers of free, or cheap farmland, sincere, hardworking pioneers, and the invention of the tractor. Here is a tale that will haunt, not only because of the terrible events that occurred then, but because of the terrifying possibility that Man is continuing to damage his environment. Who can say with certainty what other devastation will come? And will there be an opportunity to make things right again or will it be too late this time?
    Now that's haunting.

  • 18 years ago

    Last time I posted, I completely forget about Suite Francaise but in the last week or so, things from the book keep popping into my head.

  • 18 years ago

    Many years ago - at least thirty - I read a novel about a young couple, newly married. He was a law student, from a privileged background. She was a "poor girl." They married against the wishes of his parents, who withdrew their support. He remained in school, and they were very poor. She worked as a clerk in a dime store, they ate onions, he hoped to get a night job as a janitor, and got the job when the man (an alchoholic) holding the job drank rubbing alcohol. They were very happy to get the job but also ashamed at being happy because the other man had died. At some point, she became pregnant. Throughout all this she was an aspiring writer, despite being poorly educated. She would sit outside in the hallway during a writing class, trying to learn, and one day the professor invited her in and even encouraged her to turn in assignments. One day he read her work aloud to the class, who made fun of it. The professor said something like, "I find it strange that no one in this class has mentioned the originality of the writer's viewpoint, or the freshness of her writing." The young wife walked on air at receiving such encouragement. She met the dean of her husband's law school, who thoroughly approved of her.

    I don't remember the name of this novel, or who wrote it, or even where I got it. Perhaps it was a Readers Digest condensed version. As you can tell, I remember it in vivid detail. I think I identified with the young woman, who was carefully making her way in a new and better life with nothing but her own intelligence and personality to help her. I was a teenager, and although being a newlywed had no appeal to me, I enjoyed the 'triumph of the human spirit' theme.

    As I said, I don't remember the title or the author. However, I probably would not re-read the book. I would be afraid it would not hold up to my memories.

  • 18 years ago

    Was it by any chance Joy In The Morning?
    You are right, Siobhan-it probably would not hold up.

  • 18 years ago

    Wow Siobhan, that really brought back memories for me too. I also think it is "Joy in the Morning" (thanks cece) by Betty Smith. She wrote "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." I remember reading more than one other book by her that did not compare to ATGIB.

  • 18 years ago

    Well, given cindydavid's definition of "haunt", I'd say the book that stayed with me all these years is Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome. I'm not sure why -- it could be the whole tragedy of the story.

    While it's not a book but a short story, John Galsworthy's "The Apple Tree" also sticks to me. I guess it must be that tragic stories like this stick to me. (I don't know -- unrequited love or something akin to it just seems to haunt me. Must be the hopeless romantic in me! :-( )

  • 18 years ago

    I remember Joy in the Morning and you are right - didn't hold a candle to Tree Grows in Brooklyn (tho I read the former at a much older age than I read the latter, so that might have had something to do with it) Not sure its the book youre looking for tho.

    There are several short stories that haunt me. Ellison's I Have No Mouth Yet I Must Scream, Bradbury's Sound of Thunder and Soft Rains, Arthur Clark's One Billion Names of God. 20 or so years after reading them, they will still pop into my head now and then, often as I am engaged in the technology they all have in common: computers.

  • 18 years ago

    That indeed is the book! I remember now that I read ATGIB afterwards, which is undoubtedly a much better work.

    I don't know if this is haunting, but I can still recite Dr. Seuss's Cat in the Hat word for word. I read it to my younger siblings so many times it is permanently inscribed in my memory.

  • 18 years ago

    cindy - I agree about Ellison's "I Have No Mouth..." What a terrifying scenario that was. At the local used bookstore yesterday, I almost bought a copy of "Dangerous Visions 2," a book that Ellison edited.

    "The Kite Runner" haunted me ... but not in a good way. I don't really like being haunted by a book because of bad things that happen to the characters.

  • 18 years ago

    Elison is amazing; most of his short stories are memorable. That one tho, wow (it probably didn't help that my then boyfriend read it to me at night when we were out camping.

    Oh off topic: there is a wonderful book called Bimbos of the Death Star by Sharyn McCrumb, that is a send up of sci fi fans, conventions, and authors. The main character is based on Ellison. If you are a fan of his (or of sci fi in general) this is a hoot to read. The author btw is the same one with the appalachian mysteries that are so good.

    I have the same problem when horrible things happen to characters; I have a very good visual imagination, and there are some that I read in HS that still pop in the head.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Bimbos of the Death Star

  • 18 years ago

    I loved Bimbos of the Death Star! I've read a couple other McCrumbs, but Bimbos was the most memorable.

  • 18 years ago

    McCrumb also wrote Zombies of the Gene Pool, copyright 1992, that continued the adventures of Jay and Marion.

    She also did a light mystery series featuring Elizabeth MacPherson, of Scottish descent, set in NC. My favorite of hers, though, is If Ever I Return, Pretty Peggy O from the ballad novels.

  • 18 years ago

    cindy - Thanks for the info. I've read her Appalachian books and enjoyed them. Nora Bonesteel - or whatever her name is - is one of my favorite characters.

  • 18 years ago

    Three more:

    Alain-Fournier's "The Lost Domain", a very romantic French novel about love and loss.

    "Little Women" by Alcott. I still recall entire phrases by heart. I used to re-read it annually.

    And Dyno mentioned "Ethan Frome." I consider this Wharton's masterpiece. Surely the unforgiving New England landscape has never been better limned....

  • 18 years ago

    Hi, I'm new, this is my first post. Shadow of the Wind haunted me also.In a strange way Harry Potter also haunted me, maybe it's because I really immersed myself in Hogwart's and was sad to leave.

  • 18 years ago

    Welcome Deborah! Hope to see you posting often here. Come over to the November books thread and tell us what you're reading.

  • 18 years ago

    Sophie's Choice by, William Styron was by far the most haunting book I have ever read. I read the book many years ago and the premise of the book has never been far from my mind.

  • 18 years ago

    A bit off the original idea, but there are movies based on books that definitely haunt me -- Sophie's Choice, as mentioned by wijeanne, being one of them. Others would be A Handmaid's Tale and The Omega Man (now re-made with the book's proper title, I Am Legend). I won't read the latter two books because I found the movies so upsetting, I would still like to read the Styron.

    Deborah, welcome! I'd agree with Harry Potter being a haunting in a good way. Rowling's world is a place I'd love to visit myself, and I was very caught up in it. Thinking in these terms, I'd say Middle Earth and the Tolkien books haunt me, too, in that it was a world I could close my eyes and imagine myself in.

  • 18 years ago

    Thats funny - I won't see Children of Men because the book was so upsetting to me (tho it was an excellent read). Same with Jaws and Juraissic Park. I read them both long before they became movies and was frightened enough that I didn't need to see them!

  • 18 years ago

    I am haunted by Shirley Jackson's The Lottery, D.H. Lawrence's The Rocking Horse Winner, Wally Lamb's I Know This Much Is True and Ethan Frome.

    But there are other stories that fascinate, rather than haunt me, and I keep coming back to in my mind. A few I can't remember the name of. 11 Harrow House is one, about an ingenious diamond heist with a great surprize ending. There's another one about a teenage boy who kills his girlfriend and his parents help cover it up. It sounds sensational but is actually compelling in the way it is written, much like A Map of the World. The mother is a dr. and the father a sculptor. Does that ring any bells for anyone?

  • 18 years ago

    Let's see:

    Lord of the Rings
    Harry Potter
    The "Adept" series by Katherine Kurtz but mostly its prequel story -- "Lammas Night"

  • 18 years ago

    Granjan --

    11 Harrow House?! Hey, I read that recently! I saw the movie back in the 80s on reruns. Did you ever see it with James Mason, Charles Grodin, and Candice Bergen?

  • 18 years ago

    Owen Meany always sits on my shoulder.

  • 18 years ago

    So....am I the only one who, after reading many of the responses, says...."I'll have to read that....."?

    I'm reading Map of the World right now....

  • 18 years ago

    The "Joy Luck Club" (Amy Tan)is one that I could return to again and again. Same for "Song of Solomon",by Toni Morrison. I'll agree with several others about Styron's "Sophie's Choice". The first book that made me weep, I think, was Marjorie Kinnan Rawling's "The Yearling". I am really looking forward to being able to read that one with my own children. John Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany" is just stunning, however many times I go back to it. Anne Tyler's "Breathing Lessons" and "Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant" are heartbreaking and poignant. It was nice to be able to share here - this is my first visit to the forum - finally done with the kitchen forums, etc! Happy reading, everybody.

  • 18 years ago

    Oops, neglected to add another that I would describe as having stayed with me a long, long time: John Steinbeck's "East of Eden" - just a wonderful, haunting story.

  • 18 years ago

    I would add A Thousand Splendid Suns which I read only because it was my book club's selection for January, and I do try to read all of those, whether I would have picked it or not-sort of the point of a book club, no? It wasn't an easy read, and I doubt I will ever re-read it, but it was a moving read with characters that will stay with me, and I am looking forward to our discussion on Monday.

  • 18 years ago

    There are three that come immediately to my mind, and all have already been mentioned - Sophie's Choice, Native Son and A Prayer for Owen Meany.

  • 18 years ago

    I think the thing is that I don't want to be haunted. Not by a book, not by a memory, not by events. I like being able to recall these things when I want them, when it suits me, to savor or contemplate or even re-experience. But I certainly do not want them to intrude upon my mind and refuse to be set aside. So I guess I would say that if a book haunts me, that is a bad thing, not a good one.

    Rosefolly

  • 18 years ago

    I'm not sure if I would say these books "haunt" me but there are some books that I got so involved with them while I was reading them that I felt I was actually there and it was a jolt to come back to "real life".

    Lord of the Rings is one of these. Several years ago (I was a teenager) I got so involved in the stories that when I walked out of the house for something, I actually looked up at the sky to make sure the Dark Riders where nowhere in sight!

    Another example is the Dragonrider series by Anne McCaffrey. I got so involved in reading them that I could close my eyes and actually "see" the Benden Weyr setting with the dragons spiraling in to land.

  • 18 years ago

    I can't say that any books as a whole haunt me, but there are parts of some that sure do.

    In Catherine Marshall's Christy, the title character visited a hillwoman whose baby died because it was "liver-growed." She used the folk remedy of pulling the baby's legs behind its back so that the feet touched the back of its head. I've never understood what "liver-growed" meant, but I imagined something like an intestinal obstruction so the agony the baby must have felt -- inflicted by its own misguided, ignorant mother -- just rips my heart.

    In Elizabeth Metzger Howard's Before the Sun Goes Down a little boy about two years old, the son of the town prostitute, died of a congenital lung disease. His grave had no headstone until a couple of the town's boys from well-to-do families stole one from the monument maker and placed it at the grave; then they painted it white and wrote over the paint: Cal/God's Own Little Angel. But when it rained the paint washed away. Actually, that's just one of several parts of that book that have stayed with me for about forty-five years.

    Then there's Bonnie Blue Butler's death and Rhett not allowing her to be buried until Melanie talks him into it.

    Apparently, anything to do with a child's death in a story will be what I remember, whether I want to or not. I guess that's haunting.

  • 18 years ago


    teachbls, several of the ones you mentioned are also books that stuck in my memory also. I remember sobbing aloud while reading The Yearling. And I have always planned to reread East of Eden but so far haven't done it.
    One book that I have never forgotten and remember with downright love is the very first book I ever owned. It came into my possession in the summer after first grade and was called Through the Green Gate. A simple little book suitable for a rising second grader, but it was mine and books for children were scarce in my neck of the woods. One character was named Paddy and there was a pony named Bang. I read it over and over that summer and that was the beginning of my cherishing the look, feel, and content of the beauty of books. So I suppose such a strong memory could be considered a haunting.