SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janalyn_gw

"The social history of places/things and what makes people tick"

janalyn
10 years ago

The subject heading is a direct quote from Vee, describing the books she enjoys. So I thought while she is huddling in blankets, waiting for her decorators to transform her drawing room (I told you she was Violet Crawley!), we could come up with a list of books she might enjoy. If I could give a book to Vee for Christmas, here it is:

My suggestion is:

Klondike: The Last Great Gold Rush, 1896-1899 by Pierre Berton
Book Description
Release Date: Oct. 9 2001
With the building of the railroad and the settlement of the plains, the North West was opening up. The Klondike stampede was a wild interlude in the epic story of western development, and here are its dramatic tales of hardship, heroism, and villainy. We meet Soapy Smith, dictator of Skagway; Swiftwater Bill Gates, who bathed in champagne; Silent Sam Bonnifield, who lost and won back a hotel in a poker game; and Roddy Connors, who danced away a fortune at a dollar a dance. We meet dance-hall queens, paupers turned millionaires, missionaries and entrepreneurs, and legendary Mounties such as Sam Steele, the Lion of the Yukon.

Pierre Berton's riveting account reveals to us the spectacle of the Chilkoot Pass, and the terrors of lesser-known trails through the swamps of British Columbia, across the glaciers of souther Alaska, and up the icy streams of the Mackenzie Mountains. It contrasts the lawless frontier life on the American side of the border to the relative safety of Dawson City. Winner of the Governor General's award for non-fiction, Klondike is authentic history and grand entertainment, and a must-read for anyone interested in the Canadian frontier.

I read this before going on a family trip to the Arctic Circle, we followed the gold rush route and loved both the book and the trip. It is full of eccentric people from all over the world...crazy enough to search for gold in that environment. And true. So, Vee, here is an opportunity to get out of the Victorian drawing rooms and go north, young woman! As Robert Service said, "There are strange things done 'neath the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold.
The arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold."

Comments (5)

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Rouan's and my mother had a great-uncle who went off to the Klondike Gold Rush. Like many others, he was never heard from again.

I just picked up Jared Diamond's latest book The World Until Yesterday. He writes books that fit into this category. While I do not agree with everything he says, he always intrigues me with his ideas and conclusions. Tom (DH) will be reading it first, since I already have a stack of books awaiting my attention. I probably don't read as many of these books as Vee does, but I like them very much when I do.

Rosefolly

• J C
    10 years ago

Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert

Why are lovers quicker to forgive their partners for infidelity than for leaving dirty dishes in the sink?⢠Why will sighted people pay more to avoid going blind than blind people will pay to regain their sight? ⢠Why do dining companions insist on ordering different meals instead of getting what they really want? ⢠Why do pigeons seem to have such excellent aim; why canâÂÂt we remember one song while listening to another; and why does the line at the grocery store always slow down the moment we join it?In this brilliant, witty, and accessible book, renowned Harvard psychologist Daniel Gilbert describes the foibles of imagination and illusions of foresight that cause each of us to misconceive our tomorrows and misestimate our satisfactions. Vividly bringing to life the latest scientific research in psychology, cognitive neuroscience, philosophy, and behavioral economics, Gilbert reveals what scientists have discovered about the uniquely human ability to imagine the future, and about our capacity to predict how much we will like it when we get there. With penetrating insight and sparkling prose, Gilbert explains why we seem to know so little about the hearts and minds of the people we are about to become.

I read this book a couple of years ago and loved it. Actually I read it twice and saw a film that was based on it.

• carolyn_ky
    10 years ago

I've just placed a request to the library for that book, Siobhan. It sounds like it would be both fun and enlightening to read.

• timallan
    10 years ago

This will sound like an strange choice, but I recommend David Burton's The Raj at Table. Part cookbook, part social history, Burton discusses the experience of the English in India (particularly in the late 19th and early 20th centuries) through what they ate, and how it was prepared. It sounds like a weirdly specific subject, but the book is very engaging.

• netla
    10 years ago

I second Timallan's choice. I think it's a pity Burton hasn't written much else (one other book I know of), because that book is a joy to read (as a matter of fact, I started rereading it a couple of days ago). I read Plain Tales from the Raj: Images of British India in the 20th Century by Charles Allen around the same time and found those two books complemented each other nicely.

Another book that fits the heading is London, a Biography by Peter Ackroyd. It's long and somewhat overwritten, especially the second half of it, but because it isn't a linear history of London you can basically just open it a random and dip in. Each chapter covers a particular subject, e.g. food, crime, hygiene, living conditions etc. and each chapter is liable to lead you to half a dozen other books on the chapter's subject.