SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
netla

Latin translation, anyone?

netla
10 years ago

Can someone please help me out with a translation from Latin?

I've started reading a book (Vestal Fire by Compton Mackensie) in which the book and each chapter begin with Latin quotations. I'm trying to find translations so I can relate the contents of each quotation to the chapter it precedes. I expected not to have too much trouble finding translations on the Web, but in fact I have been stumped by the very first quotation. I can find the Latin text itself, with slightly different spelling of some words, but not a translation. It's a text by Martial and it goes like this:
"si quis tamen tam ambitiose est ut apud illum in nulla pagina Latine loqui fas sit potest epistula vel potius titulo contentus esse."

Can you help me out and either give me a rough translation or point me in the direction of one?
Google Translate has given me a vague idea of it, but as might be expected it is dreadfully garbled: "if any one is so ambitiously, however, may be allowed to speak Latin, as in him are in no page can be a letter, or rather to be content with the title of".

I did find a translation for the second quotation, also by Martial, which I think is a very good quotation with which to begin a novel:
" Hoc lege, quod possit dicere vita 'Meum est.'
Non hic Centauros, non Gorgonas Harpyiasque
Invenies: hominem pagina nostra sapit. "

("Read this, of which life can say: 'It's mine.'
You won't find Centaurs here or Gorgons or Harpies:
my page smacks of humanity.")

Comments (11)