Jane Austen Book Discussion: Pride & Prejudice
17 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (15)
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
Related Discussions
Pride and Prejudice becomes a graphic novel
Comments (17)While not a GN, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is developing a cult following. I've heard it includes all of the original P&P text in addition to the cleverly inserted zombie story line but since I haven't read it (and probably won't) you can form your own judgment. Here is a link that might be useful: P & P and Zombies...See MoreJane Austen and Me
Comments (30)Persuasion is my favorite, too. I love the theme of second chances in a life that has turned out to be disappointing. It has a bittersweet quality that has always appealed to me. Having said that, I really do like them all. Mansfield Park is fascinating to me. Some of the moral issues that are being weighed in the book seem trivial to modern sensibilities, others are timeless; but I like its exploration of what it is that makes a good person, and how easily the world overlooks these true qualities. Northanger Abbey is the lightest novel she wrote. If you grew up reading Victoria Holt and similar writers as I did, you will laugh at this wonderful spoof of the gothic novel, popular in Austen's day as well as the 1960's and 70's. Sense and Sensibility is a story of two sisters who embody the extremes of a debate going on in Austen's own time. Marianne (Sensibility) stands for the Romantic movement, all emotion and aesthetic experience and the sublime experience of nature. Elinor (Sense) expresses the values of the Enlightenment, self-discipline, prudence, knowledge, and moral virtue. Each one has something the others lack, and in the story, they both learn this. I love this book, too. Emma you already know, a story of just how wrong an intelligent, overly confident young woman can be. And Pride and Prejudice you are reading now. I'm thinking that pretty soon it will be time for me to re-read Austen yet again. Rosefolly...See MoreJane Austen, where should I start?
Comments (7)I guess this shows I am in the minority! I found Mansfield Park the most interesting of Austen books with a much smaller cast of characters to keep track of and actually more interesting & less frivolous characters. Plus I thought Fanny was the nicest of all Austen's 'heroines' and had the least expectations of life. Pat...See MoreAusten inspired books- for or against? like or dislike?
Comments (18)Yet another P&P spin-off will be hitting UK TV screens this Autumn with a new series Lost in Austen. The story line appears to be . . . our modern day heroine is a big JA fan and finds herself able to go back into the world of P&P. But will her knowledge of the outcome of the story alter what takes place in the world she has entered? Also look out for yet another TV adaptation of Tess of the d'Urbervilles. Many of the outdoor rural scenes were shot in my area. They wanted a realistic 'backwards' landscape. :-) Pity I didn't know it was happening, maybe I could have got a part as an extra playing 'an aged crone' or 'third hag'. Another Dickens series is coming up, this time Little Dorrit. Last year Bleak House was beautifully produced. Some of you may have seen it....See More- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 17 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: A Jane Austen-Inspired Home in a Historic Tannery
A Maryland couple stay true to their home’s historic roots
Full Story
LIFE'Not My Precious Books!' — Pain-Free Ways to Declutter Your Library
Have your books and neatness too, with these ideas for paring down and straightening up a beloved collection
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
Guest Picks: Set Up a Comfy Reading Corner
With a snug chair, good lighting and other cozy niceties, you may never want the story to end
Full Story
WORLD OF DESIGNEngland’s Most Famous Garden Designer Has These Tips for You
Lancelot 'Capability Brown' was born 300 years ago, but his ideas about naturalistic landscape design may be more relevant than ever
Full Story
OUTBUILDINGS10 Favorite Shed Features for Comfort and Joy
Make your backyard shed cozier, prettier or more functional with these appealing elements
Full Story
SMALL SPACESModern Alternatives to Cottage Decor
Sweetness and lace not your thing? See how sleek, contemporary furnishings can suit a cottage just as well
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREDesign Practice: How to Start Your Architecture Business
Pro to pro: Get your architecture or design practice out of your daydreams and into reality with these initial moves
Full Story
LIFESo You're Moving In Together: 3 Things to Do First
Before you pick a new place with your honey, plan and prepare to make the experience sweet
Full Story
Sales Secrets for Interior Designers
Pro to pro: Learn 3 proven techniques to please clients and increase revenues, developed by a designer with 40 years of success
Full Story
annpanagain